Fairfax County Certified as a Community Wildlife Habitat
Sept. 14, 2011
At the Board of Supervisors meeting yesterday, the National Wildlife Federation presented its certification and award to Fairfax County as a Community Wildlife Habitat (CWF).
The Greater Mason District Area in the county recently earned certification as the fourth largest Community Wildlife Habitat in the nation. The CWF program recognizes individuals and organizations who add features to their backyards, gardens and balconies that attract wildlife. Hidden Oaks Nature Center at Annandale Community Park, Green Spring Gardens and Mason District Park are all included in the certified area.
More wildllife information can be found online:
- Parks included in certification (PDF).
- Find out how you can achieve certification.
- Hidden Oaks Nature Center shows its stewardship ethic (PDF).
- Start your own butterfly garden.
- Watch birds in your back yard.