County Executive to Present Proposed Budget Feb. 28
Feb. 21, 2012
- County executive to present proposed FY 2013 Budget on Feb. 28.
- Ask Fairfax online chat on proposed budget is Feb. 29.
- Formal adoption of budget by Board of Supervisors is May 1.
- FY 2013 Budget becomes effective July 1, 2012.
Fairfax County Executive Anthony H. Griffin will present his proposed budget for FY 2013 to the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday, Feb. 28, at 10:45 a.m. at the regularly scheduled board meeting.
The meeting will be held in the Board Auditorium, Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax. It will be shown live online and on Fairfax County Government Channel 16. The public can follow highlights of the budget presentation through Twitter.
The county executive’s presentation will be available as video-on-demand and air again on Channel 16 Sunday, March 4, at 9 p.m. and Saturday, March 10, at 9 p.m. It also will air as part of the Board of Supervisors meeting replays on Friday, March 2, beginning at 8 p.m., and Saturday, March 3, at 10 a.m.
Public hearings on the FY 2013 fiscal plan have been set for Tuesday, April 10, at 6 p.m., and Wednesday and Thursday, April 11-12, at 3 p.m. Those wishing to speak at any of the public hearings should contact the Office of the Clerk to the Board at 703-324-3151, TTY 703-324-3903, to place their name on the speakers list or sign up online. The public hearings will be held in the Board Auditorium, Fairfax County Government Center and will be televised live on Fairfax County Government Channel 16.
The county will seek feedback and comments on the budget for county decision-makers to consider before adopting the FY 2013 Budget on May 1, 2012. Comments may be provided online and will be accepted through mid-April. Given the volume of comments expected, individual responses will not be possible. Comments will be updated and available for viewing every few weeks.
Residents also have the opportunity to ask the county executive questions about his proposed budget during the Ask Fairfax online chat scheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 29, 2-3 p.m.
Board of Supervisors Budget Committee meetings are scheduled for Tuesday, March 13 and 27, at 10 a.m. The board’s budget pre-markup session has been scheduled for Friday, April 20, at 1 p.m. and the markup session for Tuesday, April 24, at 10 a.m.
The formal adoption of the budget is scheduled to take place on Tuesday, May 1, at 10:30 a.m. during the regularly scheduled Board of Supervisors meeting.
Summary of Important Dates
- Release of FY 2013 Advertised Budget Plan: Feb. 28 (10:45 a.m.)
- Ask Fairfax Online Chat with county executive: Feb. 29 (2-3 p.m.)
- Board of Supervisors meeting: advertisement for FY 2013 Tax Rate, FY 2012 Third Quarter: March 6 (10 a.m.)
- Board of Supervisors Budget Subcommittee meeting: March 13 (10 a.m.)
- Board of Supervisors Budget Subcommittee meeting: March 27 (10 a.m.)
Public hearings on FY 2013 Budget in Government Center Board
- April 10 (6 p.m.)
- April 11 (3 p.m.)
- April 12 (3 p.m.)
- Effective Tax Rate hearing in Government Center Board Auditorium: April 10 (3:30 p.m.)
- Budget Committee meeting: Pre-Markup: April 20 (1 p.m.)
- FY 2013 Board Budget Markup and approval of FY 2012 third quarter: April 24 (10 a.m.)
- Formal adoption of the FY 2013 Budget: May 1 (10:30 a.m.)
- Board of Supervisors approves transfer to schools: May 1
- Beginning of FY 2013: July 1, 2012
NOTE TO MEDIA: CDs of the budget will be available to the media on Tuesday, Feb. 28, as the county executive begins his presentation. The information also will be posted online. Anthony H. Griffin and other county staff will be available for media questions in the Press Room (Room 158) of the Government Center during the Board of Supervisors’ morning break. Media outlets needing assistance should contact the Office of Public Affairs at 703-324-3187, TTY 711.