Get Ready for Back to School
Aug. 28, 2013
The 2013-2014 school year begins Tuesday, Sept. 3 . As you prepare for the new school year, we have some helpful reminders, tips and resources for a safe and successful year:
Fairfax County Public Schools
- Help for Parents Seeking Child Care
- Neighborhood and Community Services After School Programs
- Old Firehouse Teen Center's After School Program
- School Age Child Care Program
Driving Safety Reminders
- It is illegal to pass a school bus that is stopped to load and unload children.
- When bus lights and stop signs are activated, vehicles must stop in both directions, unless they are separated from the bus by a median.
- The area of 10 feet around a bus is where children are in the most danger of being struck. Stop your car far enough from the bus to allow children the necessary space to enter and exit the bus.
- Be alert. Children are unpredictable. Children walking or biking may appear suddenly and quickly; pay attention at all times.
- Be patient. There will be additional vehicles on our roadways; some motorists may be learning new routes to schools and this may temporarily impact traffic flows on various roadways.
- Drivers should not block crosswalks. Allow pedestrians ample space to walk safely.
- Always stop when directed to do so by a police officer or crossing guard.
- Children may be difficult to see. Take extra care to look out for children near schools, neighborhoods, playgrounds and parks.
- Don't honk your horn or rev your engine to "scare" pedestrians.