Your 2013 Car Tax Bill – What You Need to Know
Sept. 17, 2013
More than 800,000 Personal Property (car) Tax bills have been mailed to county residents. Your tax payment is due Monday, Oct. 7. For more information, visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta.
Here is what you need to know:
The 2013 Personal Property Tax bill includes a $33 registration fee for vehicles regularly garaged, stored or parked in Fairfax County ($38 for vehicles in excess of 4,000 pounds, or $18 for motorcycles). There is no county windshield decal to purchase or display. Residents living in Clifton, Herndon and Vienna have additional decal and/or fee requirements; contact your town for more information.
You may qualify for tax relief, if you are a senior at least 65 years-old, or permanently and totally disabled, or a disabled veteran. More information and forms are available at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta, or call 703-222-8234 (TTY 703-222-7594).
Avoid the last minute rush and get faster service. If
you have a question or concern about your tax bill, you should contact
the Department of Tax Administration at your earliest convenience,
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 703-222-8234 (TTY
703-222-7594), or send an email to email@example.com.
There are several convenient ways to pay. Note: In order to complete a transaction, you will need the last 4 digits of your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and property number as shown on your tax bill. If you do not have a bill with you, you will need your DMV Customer Number (on your driver’s license) and the last 4 digits of your vehicle’s VIN.
- Online – The most convenient way to pay your tax is online. Go to www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta and follow the directions.
- By Mail – Detach the bottom of your bill and send in the full amount by check written to County of Fairfax. Do Not Send Correspondence with your bill. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send correspondence to DTA, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 223, Fairfax, VA 22035. Postmark must be by the due date to avoid late charges. If a check is returned by the bank unpaid, a $50 charge will be added and the payment is void.
- Pay With Cash – Pay by cash at the customer service desk at any Northern Virginia Shoppers Food location, or at other participating retailers. For a list of retailers who accept your tax payment, visit www.globalexpress.net, click on store locator. You must have your bill and pay the exact amount due; a $1.25 processing fee will be charged by Global Express per transaction.
- Mobile App – Download the free Fairfax County app by searching Fairfax County Government on Google Play or the Apple App Store. Once you download and launch the Fairfax County app, look for the Services icon. Click on the Services icon and look for the Car Tax icon. Follow the simple directions. You will be able to see your current balance due and any prior year taxes due. A third-party service fee applies for paying with a debit or credit card.
In Person – (Long lines are possible close to the Oct. 7
deadline.) Pay in person at the Government Center,
12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 223, Fairfax, VA 22035,
Weekdays, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (open Thursdays until 6:30 p.m.). You
are encouraged to pay by mail or online to avoid standing in
Extended customer service hours begin Sept. 30:
- Monday, Sept. 30 - Friday, Oct. 4 - open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.; until 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 3
- Saturday, Oct. 5 - 8 a.m. to noon
- Monday, Oct. 7 - 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Electronic Check – Go to www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta and pay by electronic check. Provide information from your check and your bank account will be automatically debited. No processing fee is charged.
- Credit Card – Call 703-222-6740, (TTY 711) to pay by telephone or go to www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta to pay online. A 2.5 percent third-party processing fee is charged for credit card payments (as allowed by state law).
- Discover Card Only – You can use Discover with a graduated service charge by calling 703-222-8234 (TTY 703-222-7594), or by paying in person at the Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 223, Fairfax, VA 22035, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
At Banks – Pay at any of the following banks in
Fairfax County only. (You must have your bill and pay the
exact amount due. Credit cards are not accepted.)
- Bank of America (check or cash)
- SunTrust (check or cash)
- Wells Fargo (checks; cash from Wells Fargo customers only)