College-Bound Students: Apply for Absentee Ballot for Nov. 5 Election
Aug. 9, 2013
College students attending school outside the county who want to vote in the Virginia Nov. 5 General Election and are registered to vote in their Fairfax County home precinct can apply for an absentee mail-in ballot before leaving for school.
Here’s what to do:
Complete an Absentee
Ballot Application and
- Mail to Office of Elections, Box 10161, Fairfax, VA 22038, or
- Fax to the Office of Elections at 703-324-3725, or
- Scan and email the PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Absentee Ballot applications are also available at the Fairfax County Government Center, Suite 323, as well as Board of Supervisors offices and Library branches.
- It is important to know that if you are printing out the application form, or converting to a PDF to email, the form must be signed by the student before it is sent to the Office of Elections.
- If you want your ballot sent to your college address, please add that address in box 6 and your registered Fairfax County address in box 5 on the application form; otherwise it will be sent to your Fairfax County home address.
- Be sure to complete all information on the form, including the reason you need to vote absentee, the address where you want the ballot mailed, your full name, home address, and the last four digits of your Social Security Number. Incomplete applications must be denied by law.
- The deadline to apply for an absentee ballot by mail is Oct. 29, 5 p.m.
If you plan on being home in Fairfax County during the fall, you can absentee vote in-person beginning Sept. 20 to Nov. 2 and on Saturdays, Sept. 28 to Nov. 2. List of absentee voting hours and locations.
Note: Fairfax County students attending George Mason University or other schools in the county may not be eligible to vote absentee and must vote on Election Day, Nov. 5 in the county precinct where they are registered, unless they meet other eligibility requirements for voting absentee. (Scroll down to “Am I eligible to vote absentee?”)
The Virginia General Election is Nov. 5 and will include elections for governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, Fairfax County sheriff and the House of Delegates. The deadline to register to vote in the Nov. 5 election is Oct. 15. If you are not registered, you can register online.
Check your voter registration status and get other valuable information on your smartphone.Download the free Fairfax County Government app on the county’s mobile page or by searching Fairfax County Government on Google Play or the Apple App Store. Once you download and launch the Fairfax County app, look for the vote icon.
For more information, contact the Fairfax County Office of Elections at 703-222-0776 (TTY 711), Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or online, visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/elections.