Reminder: Car Owners Must Notify Both DMV and Fairfax County for Ownership and Location Changes

Aug. 29, 2013

Fairfax County residents who own a vehicle, such as a car, truck or motorcycle must contact both the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration (DTA) if:

  • There is a change in the ownership of the vehicle (sold or donated).
  • You have moved out of the county and the car is no longer parked/garaged in Fairfax County.

In Fairfax County, your car tax (Personal Property Tax) is based on the number of months in a year that the vehicle is located/registered in the county. For example, if you move out of the county in September 2013, your car tax will be based on the nine months your vehicle was registered/located in Fairfax County this calendar year. You need to contact DTA directly to make sure you receive an accurate tax bill.

For more information or to update your vehicle records with Fairfax County visit DTA online or call 703-222-8234 (TTY 703-222-7594).  To contact DMV, go to or call 804-497-7100  (TTY 1-800-272-9268).


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version