County Executive to Present Proposed Budget Feb. 26
Feb. 19, 2013
Fairfax County Executive Edward L. Long Jr. presents his proposed FY 2014 Budget Plan, including the Multi-Year FY 2014-FY 2015 Budget, to the Board of Supervisors on Tuesday, Feb. 26, at approximately 10:40 a.m. at the regularly scheduled board meeting.
The meeting will be held in the Board Auditorium, Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax. It will be shown live on Fairfax County Government Channel 16. The public can follow highlights of the budget presentation through Twitter.
The county executive’s presentation will be available as video-on-demand and air again on Fairfax County Government Channel 16 on Sunday, March 3, at 9 p.m. and Saturday, March 9, at 9 p.m. It also will air as part of the Board of Supervisors meeting replays on Friday, March 1, beginning at 8 p.m., and Saturday, March 2, at 10 a.m.
The public hearing schedule is listed below. Those wishing to speak at a public hearing can sign up online to place their name on the speakers list, or contact the Office of the Clerk to the Board at 703-324-3151, TTY 703-324-3903. The public hearings will be held in the Board Auditorium, Fairfax County Government Center and will be televised live on Fairfax County Government Channel 16.
Feedback and comments on the proposed budget may be provided online through mid-April. A link for public input will be available on Feb. 26 and will be included in NewsWire and found on the county’s online budget page. Given the volume of comments, individual responses will not be possible. Comments will be updated and available for viewing throughout the budget process.
Residents also have the opportunity to ask the county executive questions about his proposed budget during the Ask Fairfax online chat scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 28, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Questions can be submitted to Ask Fairfax beginning Feb. 26.
The Budget Primer provides information and context to help residents understand the county’s budget process.
Summary of Important Dates
- Release of FY 2014 Advertised (Proposed) Budget Plan, including Multi-Year FY 2014-FY 2015 Budget: Feb. 26 (10:40 a.m.)
- Ask Fairfax Online Chat with county executive: Feb. 28 (9:30-10:30 a.m.)
- Board of Supervisors meeting: advertisement for FY 2014 Tax Rate, FY 2013 Third Quarter: March 5 (10:30 a.m.)
- Board of Supervisors Budget Committee meeting: March 12 (1 p.m.)
- Board of Supervisors Budget Committee meeting: March 18 (2 p.m.)
- Effective Tax Rate hearing in Government Center Board Auditorium: April 9 (3 p.m.)
Public hearings on FY 2014 Budget in Government Center Board
April 9 (6 p.m.)
April 10 (3 p.m.)
April 11 (3 p.m.)
- Budget Committee meeting: Pre-Markup: April 19 (2 p.m.)
- FY 2014 board budget markup and approval of FY 2013 third quarter: April 23 (10 a.m.)
- Formal adoption of the FY 2014 Budget: April 30 (10:30 a.m.)
- Beginning of FY 2014: July 1, 2013
NOTE TO MEDIA: CDs and other budget-related materials will be available to the media on Tuesday, Feb. 26, as the county executive begins his presentation. The information also will be posted online. Edward L. Long Jr. and other county staff will be available for media questions in the Press Room (Room 158) of the Government Center following the presentation; the exact time will be announced later. Media outlets needing assistance should contact the Office of Public Affairs at 703-324-3187, TTY 711.