Historic Record Center Ribbon-Cutting Sept. 28
Sept. 23, 2013
On Saturday, Sept. 28, at 1 p.m. members of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, the City of Fairfax mayor and council members will join with Fairfax Circuit Court Clerk John T. Frey to cut the ribbon on the Historic Courthouse’s renovated Historic Records Center. The Fairfax Historic Courthouse is located at 4000 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax. The ribbon-cutting will be followed by an open house until 3 p.m. with tours of the renovated archives and the historic courtroom.
The Historic Records Center, which is part of Fairfax Circuit Court, holds precious documents including George Washington’s original will in his own hand, deeds for Pohick Church pews that include the signatures of George Mason and George Washington and some Civil War soldiers’ graffiti. The oldest portion of the Historic Courthouse dates to 1799. Circuit Court judges still use the historic courtroom occasionally to convene court.
The Historic Records Center includes official documents from the formation of Fairfax County in 1742 through the early 1900s. As custodian of the community’s public record, Frey explains, “Even — perhaps especially — in a digital age, we have to care for our community’s narrative. To tell future generations the complete story of Fairfax means properly archiving these documents of our treasured past.”
Ample parking is available behind the Historic Courthouse on the Judicial Complex campus (PDF map).
# # #