New Infographic Gallery Provides Complex Data in Easy-to-Read Format
Oct. 30, 2013
A new Data Visualization and Infographic Gallery is available to share complex economic and demographic information with residents in a way that does not require a great deal of reading or analysis. Data visualizations (often called infographics) employ graphics and data-rich visuals to help explain patterns and trends. The gallery provides a showcase on a range of economic and demographic topics. At this time, all images within the gallery are provided in PDF format.
The Data Visualization and Infographic Gallery will help users explore:
- Poverty in Fairfax County – How many county residents live in poverty? What have been the trends in the numbers of persons living in poverty? What are the characteristics of those who live in poverty? Do people who are below poverty work?
- 50+ in Fairfax County – How many county residents are over age 50? Where do the county’s older residents live? How rapidly is this age group expected to grow? How many live alone? What are the sources of their income?
- International Migration to the Fairfax-Falls Church Area – How many international migrants moved to the Fairfax-Falls Church area? What percent of these international migrants were U.S. citizens? Where did they come from?
- Annual Domestic Migration by Age – How many domestic migrants move to the Fairfax-Falls Church area annually? How many move away? Where do they come from and move to? What are their ages?
- Annual Domestic Net Migration to and from the Fairfax-Falls Church Area – Where did former residents move to? What counties and states are new residents moving from?
The Data Visualization and Infographic Gallery will add new data visualizations periodically, using this Web page to explore information sharing in more user-friendly formats. For questions concerning the gallery, please contact Paul Maliszewski at 703-324-7125 or Anne Cahill at 703-324-4531 in the Department of Neighborhood and Community Services.
View the county's Data Visualization/ Infographic Flickr Gallery.