Fairfax County Recount Media Advisory #1 Dec. 13, 2013 (Updates to Follow)
Media are encouraged to make advance arrangements with the Office of
Contact: 703-324-NEWS (6397)
Location and Schedule
Parking: Parking for media is on a first-come, first-served basis. Parking lot #2 off West Street is closest to where the briefings will be held.
Location: Fairfax County Courthouse, 4110 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax. Designated rooms as of 12/13/13:
- Room 404, 4th Floor – 238 precincts ballots and provisional ballots
- Judges’ Lunchroom (off cafeteria), lower level – Absentee ballot recount
- Monday, Dec. 16: 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 17: 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 18: 7 a.m. until completion or by court order at latest 11:59 p.m.
Scheduled Media Briefings
One of the recount coordinators, Electoral Board Secretary Brian Schoeneman or Chairman Seth Stark, or General Registrar Cameron Quinn will provide briefings on the recount process at the times noted below. The briefings will take place in the area outside the Courthouse front doors near the flag poles. These times are subject to change and there may be additional briefings if needed. Changes/additions to this schedule will also be posted on Twitter @FairfaxVotes and at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/elections/recount2013.htm.
- Monday, Dec. 16: 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 17: 8 a.m.,11 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 18: 8 a.m.,11 a.m., 5 p.m. and at completion of recount.
Pertinent information and updates will be posted throughout the day via:
- Fairfax County’s Recount Resource Page (including resources from the Virginia State Board of Elections): www.fairfaxcounty.gov/elections/recount2013.htm
- Twitter: @FairfaxVotes
- Audio: http://soundcloud.com/fairfaxcounty
Recount Coverage - Guidelines
Per the Fairfax County Circuit Court Order of Dec. 13:
During the recount scheduled for 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., December 16 through December 18, 2013, election observers shall have the right to communicate with their respective campaigns or legal counsel from the recount rooms in which the recount is being conducted solely by means of email or text message, so long as such communication does not disrupt or interfere with the conduct of the recount.
The news media shall be allowed one pooled video and one still camera to film or photograph inside the recount room from 4:00 p.m. to 4:20 p.m. Each day of the recount. However, the media shall not film or photograph any person who specifically asks not to be photographed. Pool coverage details to come.
Any interviews, live broadcasts, taping of reporters’ remarks or live streaming or posting of text, shall be conducted outside of the courthouse. For purposes of this order, the courtyard is not considered to be inside of the courthouse.
Except as provided above the Dec. 4, 2012 order relating to recording equipment and portable electronic devices remains in effect.