How to file a complaint
To file a complaint please contact the Human Rights Commission at 703-324-2953, TTY 703-324-2900 or fill out one of the following Discrimination Questionnaire Forms (Los formularios de quejas estan disponibles en Español):
- Farifax County Government Complaint Procedure under the American with Disabilities Act (Fairfax County Facility)
- Acomodación Publica
- Private Education
Human Rights Specialists will discuss your concerns with you and,if appropriate, assist you in formulating a complaint to sign.
- After the initial contact is made with the complainant:
- a complaint form is prepared and signed by the complainant;
- the respondent is notified of the charge;
a thorough investigation is conducted to determine the facts.
Settling the Case
When the investigation is completed, the evidence will be assessed by the Executive Director:
- if there is insufficient evidence to support the claim, the case will be dismissed;
- if the complainant desires he or she may begin the formal appeal process;
if the evidence supports the claim, the
complainant may receive:
- back pay,
- job reinstatement,
- rental of an apartment,
- credit for a loan, or,
- a promotion.
Visual Aid for the Complaint Procedure
*If your complaint is also jurisdictional under Title VII of The Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, as amended; and/or the Americans with Disabilities Act, your case will be cross-filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
** If your complaint is also jurisdictional under the Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 as amended by the Fair Housing Act of 1988, your case will be dual-filed with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).