2010 Fairfax County Awards
Fairfax County is often recognized for its outstanding programs, services and public servants. The county also honors individuals and organizations.
- The Fairfax County Economic Development Authority (FCEDA) wins 2010 Virginia Torchbearer Project of the Year Award from the Virginia Chamber of Commerce for its work to secure the Northrop Grumman headquarters for Fairfax County.
- The Fairfax-Falls Church Community Partnership to Prevent and End Homelessness received Housing Virginia's “Connecting Your Message” award for its collective efforts with the Target-sponsored event "Giving Back to Get People Home."
Gerald L. Gordon, Ph.D., president and CEO of the Fairfax County
Economic Development Authority was honored by Virginia Business
magazine as its 2010 “Virginia Business Person of the Year.” The
award recognizes a leader whose work has transformed a company, an
industry or a sector of the commonwealth’s economy.
- Park Authority wins 2010 National Gold Medal Award for Excellence in Park and Recreation Management from the American Academy for Park and Recreation Administration in Partnership with National Recreation and Parks Association. The Gold Medal Award honors communities throughout the United States that demonstrate excellence in long-range planning, resource management, volunteerism, environmental stewardship, program development, professional development and agency recognition.
County Receives 12 NACo Awards— The National
Association of Counties recognized 11 county programs and projects with
2010 Achievement Awards and one program with a 2010 Arts and Culture
- Administrative Resource Team (ART) — Best In Category: Organizational Development & Training
- Digital Television (DTV) Transition — Cable Communications and Consumer Services
- “Go Green with Gunston” — Office for Children
- Early Learning Through the Visual Arts — Office for Children
- Live Well's Shape Up Program — Office of the County Executive
- Operation Medicine Cabinet Cleanout — Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board
- Electronic Accounts Payable System (EAPS) — Department of Finance
- Foreclosure Prevention Outreach — Department of Housing and Community Development/Consumer Affairs Branch/Office of Public Private Partnerships
- Public Safety Architecture Modernization — Department of Information Technology
- Community Budget Dialogues — Department of Management and Budget
- Youth Survey Key Issue Fact Sheets — Department of Systems Management for Human Services
Arts and Culture Award: Explore the World in Your Community at
Ossian Hall Park — Park Authority
- Department of Technology — Two programs were recognized with awards from the 2010 Commonwealth of Virginia Innovative Technology Symposium.
- CAD2CAD Exchange Program — Winner in the Cross-Boundary Collaboration category along with Arlington County, the city of Fairfax and the city of Alexandria.
- Virtual Fairfax 3-D — Honorable Mention in the Innovation in Local Government category.
Wastewater Treatment Plant Receives Pollution Control Award (July 26,
The Noman M. Cole Jr. Pollution Control Plant received a Platinum Peak Performance Award from the National Association of Clean Water Agencies. This distinction was only given to nine municipal water treatment plants across the nation. The plant’s achievement helps protect the water quality of the county’s streams and watersheds, as well as the Chesapeake Bay.
- The Department of Housing and Community Development received two 2010 Awards of Merit from the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO). The awards recognize the Tenant Collection and Cash Management Process and the successful Partnership for Permanent Housing (PPH) Program. NAHRO's Award of Merit gives national recognition to innovative housing and community development projects, programs and services throughout the country.
- Technology Excellence Award Goes to Fairfax County. Fairfax County received top honors in the annual Public Technology Institute (PTI) 2009-2010 Solutions Awards, which recognizes local governments’ excellence in technology. The county’s honors were in the Web and E-government category for its efforts in engaging residents during the Fiscal Year 2010 Budget process.
- Fairfax County's Wastewater Management Program received a 2010 Governor's Environmental Excellence Award for its community outreach efforts, including a program for high school students. The county was one of only 20 award recipients statewide, and was recognized with a bronze medal in the Environmental Programs category.
The Health Department’s Disease Carrying Insects Program (DCIP) received the Outstanding Service Award from Virginia Mosquito Control Association (VMCA). The VMCA recognized the program for its consistent contributions to mosquito control awareness and education throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. The association also recognized the DCIP for its ongoing commitment to serving county residents, as well as providing educational opportunities to colleagues in partner organizations.