Discovery Trail Map
You'll always find something fun to do in Fairfax County parks, and the Park Authority's Discovery Trial Map is your guide! The journey features 12 distinctive sites that give children and adults the chance to discover each site's unique features. Visit eight or more sites and get a prize package to more summer fun and get entered in a drawing for one of four bicycles! The prize package valued at $93 includes 1 free admission for: mini-golf, carousel, train, tour boat, pedal boat, camping, wagon ride, RECenters and boat rental.
About the Discovery Trail Map
Since this is the 275th Anniversary of Fairfax County, the 2017 Discovery Trail Map has an historical theme. Educational messages on the map explore the history of each featured site and explain how the site evolved into a park.
- Participants can obtain a map at all staffed FCPA locations, Fairfax County Public Libraries and Board of Supervisors offices (while supply lasts). Maps will also be available online Download Discovery Trail Map during the promotional period: May 27 – Sept. 4, 2017.
- The map encourages participants (children and adults) to use the Discovery Trail Map as their guide to learn about the featured sites on the map.
- Each featured site has a sticker with a unique image that reinforces the educational messages on the map.
- When participants visit a site, they will go to the appropriate location to get a sticker and place the sticker on the map square reserved for that site.
- Once participants visit 8 different sites and have 8 different stickers on the map, they are eligible to receive a prize packet full of tickets to FCPA amusements such as mini golf, carousel ride, boat ride, etc.
- Qualifying maps can be redeemed at any of our three lakefront parks: Burke Lake, Lake Accotink or Lake Fairfax.
- Lakefront staff members will date and initial the qualifying maps, record names and phone numbers of recipients on a distribution log and award the prize packs. At the same time, the qualifying participant will fill out a ticket to be entered in a drawing for one of four bikes and drop the ticket in the ticket box.
- At the end of the promotion period, the Fairfax County Park Foundation will collect the ticket boxes and conduct the drawing for the four bikes donated by Spokes, Etc. and Trek. One bike will be awarded for each of the following age categories: Pre-K-Grade 2; Grades 3-7; Grades 8-12; Adults age 18+.
- Winners or their parents/guardians will be notified by e-mail and/or phone with details about the bike presentation.
- Winners will be announced via an FCPA news release in September and in the winter issue of Parktakes magazine, which is published in November.
Another chance to win
Lord Fairfax VI was the only English titled nobleman ever to live permanently in the American colonies. Participants who spot “Lord Fairfax” along the Discovery Trail are encouraged to take a selfie with him and post it to Instagram #WhereIsLordFairfax. From the photos posted, judges will select one winner each week to receive a choice of two RECenter passes or two mini golf passes valid at any FCPA RECenter or mini golf course.