Middlegate Complex and Cabell's Mill
The Middlegate Complex and Cabellís Mill are located near the meadow along Big Rocky Run and Walney Road. It is believed that the mill was built as early as 1769 but no later then the early 1800s. There are records indicating that there was another mill located within close proximity to Cabellís Mill. This mill was built by Willoughby Newton in about 1746. Middlegate served as the millerís house and was probably built in the early 1800s. At various times, the mill was used as a grist, sumac and saw mill.
In 1944, the Middlegate-Cabellís Mill property was purchased by Ellanor C. Lawrence. She and her husband David used the property as a country retreat from the social and political influences of Washington D.C. Middlegate served as the Lawrenceís residence when they visited the property. The mill was used to entertain guests and friends during various functions.
The Park Authority renovated Cabellís Mill and Middlegate in 1979-80. The mill became a rental facility of the Historic Properties Rental Services. Middlegate is currently used for park administration and maintenace offices, a caretakerís apartment and a maintenace shop. Middlegate is closed to the public.
© FAIRFAX COUNTY PARK AUTHORITY
Contact Us: General (Office of Public Affairs) | Technical (Web Administrator) | Directed Inquiries (County Agencies)
Phone: County Main Number - 703-FAIRFAX (703-324-7329), TTY 711 | County Phone Listing