Frying Pan Farm Park, Old Floris Schoolhouse
The Old Floris Schoolhouse, a 4 room school built in 1911, stands on the site where the original one room schoohouse was built in 1876, and where a two room school succeeded it in 1901. A fourth building, the Floris Vocational Technical High School, was constructed alongside and opened its doors in 1921.
These two schools served the Frying Pan/Floris Community for many years. During the 1950's, they were no longer needed by the Fairfax County School Board. The high school was torn down, but the 4 room schoolhouse remained. A Fairfax County Extension Agent, Joseph Beard, proposed that the building and land be preserved as a youth center to serve the Future Farmers of America, the 4-H Club, scouting groups and to provide a site for fairs and community recreation.
In 1960, the land was deeded to the Fairfax County Park Authority. Subsequent events, land acquisitions, community interest and involvement have led to the continuing development of Frying Pan Farm Park.
The Old Floris Schoolhouse serves Frying Pan Park and the community today as the site for a family farm oriented pre-school during the academic year; and a summer day camp, both managed by Katydid, Inc.
Information and registration for pre-school and tiny-tot programs are handled through the schoolhouse at 703-689-3104. Information and registration forms for spring break and summer day camps can be found in the spring and summer Parktakes magazine, or via Parktakes Online .