Green Spring Gardens, Field Trip Programs
[ 4603 Green Spring Road ] [ Alexandria, VA 22312 ] [ 703-642-5173 ]
2015-2016 SCHOOL PROGRAMS
Experience one of the most beautiful public gardens in the region! Our programs deliver quality instruction with interactive learning and improved curriculum to better accommodate changing Virginia SOLs. To register your group, please check our availability calendars for each program listing below, or call the Children's Education Department at 703-642-5173.
Registration begins August 31, 2015 for the 2015-2016 School Year.
Programs run Tuesday-Fridays, 10am-12noon
$7 Fairfax County, $8 Out-of-County;
- Fee applies to students and chaperones;
- May be subsidized by 50% for Title I schools and Head start programs;
- Includes teacher resource packet.
We request that self-guided groups call ahead to schedule their visit (703-642-5173) so we are better able to manage visitor traffic. A suggested donation of $3 per person for self-guided groups is appreciated.
Bring lunch and enjoy an outdoor picnic at the park after the program (weather permitting). Indoor spaces are not available for students to eat lunch.
“The content was perfectly aligned to our curriculum and student’s
ages. We came at the start of our soil unit and the students remembered
a lot from the trip as we continued through our unit.”
3rd Grade Teacher
“The program was so well run---the activities were age appropriate and interesting. Each activity was also the appropriate length of time. The kids seemed to especially love digging in the dirt!”
“It reinforced and built on what the students had learned at school and it made it ‘real’.”
Green and Growing Gardens
“We really enjoy all aspects of this field trip. It is a favorite!”
“The content is very connected to the FCPS second grade curriculum. I really like the activity with the flowers. It is good for the students to take the flower apart and see all of the parts.”
“I would thank everyone who spent the day with us on our field trip. We hope to come again next year!”
2nd Grade Teacher
Metamorphosis and More
Field Trip Etiquette
Please keep the following in mind to help make your trip a success.
- Payment, in full, is due on the day of your visit with check made payable to “Fairfax County Park Authority” or with Visa or MasterCard.
- Arrange for enough chaperones so that the adult to student ratio is at least 1:10. Maximum of 20 chaperones per field trip. Chaperones pay same price as students.
- All of our field trips include a walk outside. Please make sure all students, chaperones and staff are dressed for the weather including sturdy shoes, coats during cold weather, and raincoats during rainy weather. Please consider water bottles for students to carry during hot weather as well.
- Nametags are helpful so the naturalists can use names during programs.
- Green Spring Gardens remains open to the public during all scheduled events. Please be considerate of our visitors and staff. Chaperones and teachers are asked to continue monitoring their group’s behavior for the entire program. Participation of adults during activities is also greatly encouraged!
- Remind students, chaperones and staff to respect plants, animals and parkland. Stay on marked trails and do not pick plants or remove anything, living or otherwise, from the park.
- Please be on time. Late arrival may mean programs are shortened or canceled because of other park programming and operational needs.
- You may want to pack a picnic lunch to eat at the park. We have plenty of areas for an outdoor picnic. We recommend bringing blankets for children to sit on in the grass.
- Because of limited trash pickup and wildlife scavenging at Green Spring, please bring your own trash bags and take your trash out with you.
We value your input so we can make our programs the best they can be for your students! Please complete and return the program evaluations given to you at the end of the program or send an email to Ann.Difiore@fairfaxcounty.gov