9812 Georgetown Pike
Great Falls, Virginia 22066
This site, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, dates
back to 1889. It was originally a one-room schoolhouse, but in 1911 it
doubled in size when the Floris Elementary Schoolhouse was moved from
its location in what is now Frying Pan Park and attached to the west
side of the building. Over the years, the schoolhouse has served as a
school, junior Grange, library, bank, post office and private
The schoolhouse offers large sunlit rooms with hardwood floors. It may
be rented individually or with the adjacent Great Falls Grange.
Indoor Banquet: 49
Indoor Cocktail-Style Reception: 49
View Floor Plan
View Site Map
Base Fee (4-hours): $320 for Fairfax County Residents; $400 for
Extra Hours: $80/hour for Fairfax County Residents; $100/hour for
Alcohol Beverage Use Fee: $150
Security Deposit: $300
Rent the Great Falls
Grange with the Forestville Schoolhouse and receive 10% off
your base rental and extra hour fees.
The rental time is to include setup and cleanup time, as well as the
function. The security deposit is refunded after the rental, provided
there were no damages or contractual violations.
6 four-foot round tables
6 six-foot rectangular tables
49 off-white folding chairs
Pantry area with sink and counter space
Piano (it can be tuned for your event for an additional fee)
Ceiling fans in gathering rooms (NO air conditioning)
The Forestville Schoolhouse is wheelchair accessible.
for specific date
availability or to schedule an appointment to view the property!
Location and Directions:
Forestville Schoolhouse History
With population growing in the latter part of the 19th century, the
residents of the Dranesville District petitioned for a school to be
built on Georgetown Pike. In October 1889, George and Alice Gunnell
sold one acre of land to the School Trustees of the Dranesville
Districts for $50 to be used for the school site. Development of the
wooded site began immediately and the one-room, wood stove heated,
Forestville Schoolhouse opened in November, 1889. The first and
longest serving of the school teachers was Henry Cornwell, who had
been the Forestville post master from 1891 to 1895. It was said that
Mr. Cornwell taught "to the tune of the hickory stick."
In 1911, the Floris Elementary School building was dismantled, moved
from its Frying Pan location and added to the west side of the
original schoolhouse. Another teacher was hired to teach the first
through third grades in the new addition and Mr. Cornwell taught the
fourth through seventh grades in the original section of the
building. There was no plumbing in the schoolhouse. Water was carried
from wells across Georgetown Pike and in 1914 or 1915, two outhouses
were finally constructed.
Another Forestville School was built in 1922 to replace the smaller
structure. From 1923 to 1950, the original school served as a
residence. The Great Falls Grange members bought the schoolhouse in
1951 to serve as a "junior" Grange and Boy Scout meeting
hall. In 1953, the building briefly served again as a school,
handling the overflow from the Forestville School. From 1958 to 1966,
Great Falls Realty retained offices in the east section; the west
section served as the post office and then public library for the
community. The last tenant was the United Virginia Bank, who vacated
the building in 1981.
In 1983, the Fairfax County Park Authority, local citizens and Great
Falls Heritage, Inc. partnered to raise funds and labor to renovate
the Forestville Schoolhouse.
The Forestville Schoolhouse is listed on the Fairfax County
Inventory of Historic Sites, the Virginia Department of Historic
Resources Inventory, and is listed on the National Register of
Historic Places as a contributing structure to the Great Falls