Eighth Annual History Conference Set For November
If you love history mark your calendars for Saturday, November 10, 2012 from 8:15 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. for the Eighth Annual History Conference sponsored by the Fairfax County History Commission, Fairfax County Sesquicentennial Committee, the Fairfax County Park Authority and the Fairfax Museum and Visitor Center, as well as Preservation Virginia, Northern Virginia Branch. The conference will be held at the Stacy C. Sherwood Conference Center located at 3740 Old Lee Highway in Fairfax, VA.
This year's conference focuses on courage and conflict in Fairfax County during the Civil War. Featured topics and speakers include:
- Sharon Bulova, Chairman, Fairfax County Board of Supervisors
- Author Greg Clemmer, who wrote Valor in Gray
- Park Authority historians Mike Henry, John Rutherford and Jim Daniels bringing to life stories of the war at Historic Sully, Colvin Run Mill and Confederate forts
- Living History presentation 1861, The Secession Vote of Fairfax County by the Jon Vrana Players
- Clara Barton at St. Mary of Sorrows Catholic Church presented by educator Susan Rosenvold of the Clara Barton Medical Museum
- Chantilly After the Storm, a Chuck Mauro Production
- Meet Thadeus Love - Reconnaissance Balloonist with historic re-enactor Kevin Knapp
- Lincoln's Appeal featuring historic re-enactor Dan Storck
- Plus a video presentation of Between the Lines: Free Blacks Living on Masons Neck During the Civil War
Registration is $20 per person and includes breakfast, lunch, a mid-day snack as well as parking. For further information and to receive a registration form send your name, address and email to firstname.lastname@example.org .