Commercial Photography in the Parks
All photographers conducting business on Fairfax County Park Authority (FCPA) property or in FCPA facilities must obtain a photography permit. The permit is good for one year from the date of purchase. The $25 permit can be purchased online by credit card.
Where Can I Shoot Commercial Photography?
The annual Commercial Photography Permit covers commercial photography at over 400 parks without additional fees or reservations.
Reservations and additional fees apply only at the following sites: Green Spring Gardens, Colvin Run Mill, Sully Historic Site and Ellanor C. Lawrence Park, as follows:
- For small group photo sessions (total of 11 people or less, including photography staff), no additional fees or site Photo Session Reservations are necessary.
- For groups of 12-19 people (including photography staff), a Photo Session Reservation (with additional fees) is required. The fees are $25 per hour with a two-hour minimum.
- For large groups of 20-74 the fees are $100 for each two-hour photo session and an additional $50 per hour thereafter.
- The two-hour minimum was established to ensure photographers have sufficient time to prepare, conduct and clean up after the session. Photo Session Reservations and fees are processed by the individual sites, on a space-available basis.
- Reservations for groups of 12 or more are confirmed when the fee is paid.
How Do I Get a Permit?
Photography sessions must take place during normal site operation hours. FCPA does not provide staff to assist with or monitor photography sessions.
If an FCPA venue is rented for an event, then photographer fees are waived.
Permit holders will automatically become part of the Photographer's Ambassador's Club which will include periodic newsletters and information about Park Authority sites that are perfect for photo shoots, as well as opportunities to participate in photography shows, and to learn about classes and other activities related to photography. Those who wish to participate in the creation of Ambassador's Club activities and materials are asked to contact the Public Information Office at 703-324-8662.
Other park use permits for shelters, business activity licenses, and more may be obtained at Park Use Permits.
If you have questions or would like more information,
please contact us at: