Take 12 Steps for Health
WHAT'S GOING ON WITH
'TAKE 12' THIS MONTH?
STEP 5: Get Outside
Enjoy the nice weather by visiting the farmer's market, taking a walk or playing a sport.
Tap Into Your Inner Child
Drop your adult inhibitions and bring out the child within yourself. Watch how children play and how imaginative they are and allow yourself the freedom to have the same creativity and fun. Incorporate adventure into your daily life with a few play activities, such as:
- Swinging and sliding at a playground
- Picking wild flowers
- Blowing bubbles
- Running through a sprinkler
- Riding a bike
- Jumping on a trampoline
- Doing cartwheels
Even if you have never participated in organized sports before, there are several reasons you could benefit from joining an adult sports league.
- #1: Break out of your normal exercise routine.
- #2: Learn or hone a new skill.
- #3: Develop new friendships and connections.
- #4: Rekindle a love for sports.
From baseball to lacrosse, cricket to dodge ball, there are multiple
sporting opportunities in Fairfax County.Â Some organizations
play competitively, while others are recreational. Â For a full
list of organizations, please visit:
Play at the Parks
There are many opportunities to play outside at your local park. Fairfax County parks are great places to try something new! Make sure to follow established guidelines to assure good stewardship of the parks’ natural and cultural resources.
- Geocaching is an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which participants use a Global Positioning System receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called “geocaches” or “caches”) anywhere in the world. A typical is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and “treasure” (usually toys or trinkets of little monetary value). Geocaching is allowed in many Park Authority parks.
- Fishing is legal in Park Authority waters unless posted signs say otherwise. Catch small or largemouth bass, catfish, sunfish, and many more. Lakefront parks such as Burke Lake, Riverbend, Lake Fairfax, or Walney Pond are great places to cast a line.
- The Summer Entertainment Series presents a summer-long calendar of shows, concerts and movies appropriate for the whole family. Performances range from children’s puppet shows to big band, jazz, bluegrass, rock, classical and world music. Events are held in local parks and are free of charge.
- Miniature Golf is just like stroke-play golf, minus most of the frustration. The simple, fun style of mini-golf is prefect for all ages and ability levels. Whether the hole involves a treacherous windmill or a choice of three holes, mini-golf is one of the best ways to relax with some friendly competition in the summer. Courses are available at Oak Marr, Lake Accotink, Jefferson Falls, and Burke Lake parks.
Try Something New!
- MIND: Play a game of chess or checkers.
- BODY: Practice yoga, tai chi or stretching outside.
- WELL-BEING: Take 15 minutes daily to listen to the sounds of nature and become in tune to your environment.
UPCOMING WORKSHOPS & EVENTS
All events are free (unless indicated with a "$") and
require advanced registration.
To register , please email Take12@fairfaxcounty.gov.
Healthy Workshops and Events are always being added!
Check our events calendar often for great opportunities in the community.
Check back often for upcoming 'Take 12' workshops and events!
'TAKE 12! STEPS FOR YOUR HEALTH IN 2013' PROGRAM SPONSORS
The Take 12 program is free and anyone can participate at any time. This program is designed to:
Healthy Steps Archives
Did you miss out on the "Take 12" healthy steps from the years past? Click the links below to see previous year's goals, and start your own program for better health.
Fairfax County Park Authority
Attn: Take 12 Program
12055 Government Center Pkwy, Suite 425
Fairfax, VA 22035-1118