Chill out and enjoy the fun of ice skating! Learn how to skate with grace on the ice in our beginner skating classes, or increase your knowledge and skills through our advanced skating courses. We offer classes for people of all ages and abilities.
For ice skating classes:
- Offered at two locations, Mt. Vernon Ice Arena at Mt. Vernon RECenter and Fairfax Ice Arena.
- Students should report 15 minute before class and be ready to go on the ice at class time.
- Prior to the first class, students should attend a public session to become accustomed to the ice and determine proper fitting of skates.
- Recommended clothing is a sweater or jacket, knit hat, gloves or mittens and warm, but comfortable, slacks.
- Ice skating classes include free skate rental plus six FREE admissions to public skating sessions good for the duration of the class. Skate rental is also included with the six free admissions.
For information on private ice skating lessons, please call the programming office at Mt. Vernon Ice Arena, 703-768-3224.
WHICH LEVEL IS RIGHT FOR ME?
There are two different instructional progressions used for lessons, USFSA (Skate with US - Snowplow Sam, Basic, Freeskate, Adult) and ISI (Ice Skating Institute - Tot, Pre-Alpha, Alpha, Beta). FCPA offers the full progression of classes for USFSA and the introductory-level classes for each age group
for the ISI program. Students in one progression may change to the other progression at the appropriate skating level by using the chart below. Consult the course descriptions for more information.
* USFSA equivalent is not available in the ISI program