Fitness Center Rules
Tens of thousands of people use the Park Authority's fitness facilities for their personal enjoyment and for health and fitness purposes. Just as with any big attraction drawing crowds of that magnitude, it is necessary to establish policies and general rules of etiquette to guarantee a pleasant experience for everyone.
Every RECenter has a copy of the "do"s and "don't"s posted in the fitness room. Consistent from one RECenter to the next, the rules were developed for one purpose: to ensure that everyone has a positive, safe and effective workout. We rely on our customers to help us achieve that goal.
- Children aged 11 and under are not permitted in the fitness room at any time. This includes strollers, baby carriers and children sitting inside the fitness room area while a parent/guardian is exercising.
- Teens between the ages of 12-15 may use the fitness room equipment when accompanied by a paying adult who is responsible for direct supervision. An adult is defined as someone 18 years or older, and direct supervision is defined as being immediately adjacent to the machine that the child is using. The adult may be using an adjacent machine or standing next to the machine that the child is on.
- Teens 12-15 years of age may become certified to use the fitness room equipment without direct supervision by completing the Teen Fitness Room Training class. Once completed, teens between 12-15 will be given a card to present upon entry to the fitness room and may exercise without direct adult supervision.
- Rubber soled shoes that cover the entire foot must be worn at all times. For health and safety reasons, sandals, spiked shoes, work boots and flip flop types of shoes are not permitted.
- Shirts must be worn at all times. Bathing suits and jeans are not permitted in the fitness room.
- Food is not permitted in the fitness room. Closed, plastic beverage containers are allowed.
- Please be considerate of other customers, wipe down equipment after each use, and return the weight plates and dumbbells to the racks provided.
- Circuit training has priority. Please allow others to "work in" (share) the circuit equipment in between sets.
- Cardiovascular equipment use is limited to 30 minutes when people are waiting.
- Using a spotter when lifting weights is recommended. The fitness room is not always supervised and you are exercising at your own risk.
- FCPA is not responsible for personal belongings lost or stolen in the facility.
- Please report any equipment problems to the front desk.