Take 12 Steps for Health
WHAT'S GOING ON WITH
'TAKE 12' THIS MONTH?
STEP 7: Get OUTdoors
Rock OUT! Cook OUT! Wipe OUT! Everything OUT is IN – so get out and make summer memories.
Making Healthy Strides
- Give Back: Support your parks! The Park Authority has approximately 420 parks on 23,194 acres of land, offering over 370 miles of trails, one of our most popular amenities. Visit today!
- Go Green: While camping, make sure to dispose garbage in the proper garbage receptacle at the campground or to pack it up and take it home with you. It’s also a great idea to leave the campground nicer than you found it, by cleaning up any type of litter that was there when you arrived.
- Get Active: Challenge yourself with a hike at Scott’s Run Nature Preserve in McLean, Virginia. Some of the park’s trails are gentle and wind quietly through forest. Other trails require hiking up and down precipitously steep hills and cliffs.
Sources: Fairfax County Park
Authority Fast Facts
Inhabitots: 6 Tips for Eco-Friendly Family Camping Trips
Fairfax County Park Authority Scott's Run Nature Preserve
Checklist: Pack for Camping
Before you head out into the wilderness, make sure you’re adequately packed by using this checklist from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
◻ Adequate bedding/sleeping bag and extra blankets
◻ Lightweight, light-colored clothing, including long sleeves and pants
◻ Tent and plastic ground cloth
◻ Insect repellent containing DEET for skin
◻ Permethrin insect repellent for clothing
◻ Broad-spectrum sunscreen and lipscreen with SPF 15 or higher
◻ Wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses
◻ Healthy on-the-go snacks and other food
◻ Water and other alcohol-free and sugar-free fluids
◻ Insulated cooler
◻ Alcohol-based hand sanitizer
◻ Life jacket, helmet, and other protective gear
◻ First-aid kit
◻ Compass or GPS
◻ Extra batteries
◻ Sturdy shoes
◻ Extra set of clothes
◻ Medical record, including information on vaccinations; insect, food, plant, and other allergies; diseases and conditions; medicines, dosing schedules, and storage instructions; emergency contacts; and activities your doctor says to avoid.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Get More, OUTdoors!
In a recent survey conducted in 2014 by the National Recreation and Parks Association, adults reported they most enjoy outdoor activities in parks that create healthy lifestyles, promote conservation and environmental awareness, and foster a stronger sense of community. Here are some other findings:
Source: National Recreation and Parks Association
Exploring with Trail Buddy
Fairfax County offers over 900 miles of trails, bikeways and sidewalks for non-motorized transportation. Navigating this interconnected system can be a challenge, but with Fairfax Trail Buddy, knowing where you are and where you are going is a whole lot easier.
Fairfax Trail Buddy is a map application that allows the public to navigate the extensive network of Fairfax County trails. Fairfax Trail Buddy also provides access to the Bike Fairfax Interactive Bike Map, which highlights the most desirable on-road and off-road bike routes for recreational and commuter bicyclists.
The web map is accessible from all types of devices and operating systems. For mobile devices, search for the ArcGIS application and install it to your device. After you have installed the application, open ArcGIS and use the search tool to find the "Fairfax Trail Buddy." Select the map to immediately view or add to your favorites for future reference. Activate the GPS functionality of your device to dynamically reference your location on the map.
TAKE 12! STEPS FOR
COMMUNITY HEALTH IN 2015
PROGRAM SPONSORS AND PARTNERS
The Take 12 program is free and anyone can participate at any time. This program is designed to:
- Help you accomplish healthy goals each month, with tips to keep you going for the duration.
- Give you access to information - free workshops are available each month on different healthy topics and bulletin boards loaded with information are posted at all the RECenters.
- Provide an opportunity for you to experience fitness and wellness programs offered across Fairfax County.
- Empower you to make important lifestyle changes... you can do it!
- Plus, sign-up to receive the monthly e-newsletter, packed with recipes and healthy tips, upcoming events, and opportunities to achieve your Take 12 goals!