Take 12 Steps for Health
WHAT'S GOING ON WITH
'TAKE 12' THIS MONTH?
STEP 6: Take a "Staycation"
Fairfax County and the metro and D.C. area have so many unique opportunities for day trips and activities for almost any interest!
The Best Staycation Ever
A staycation is a vacation where you stay at home or near home while creating the environment of a traditional, leisure vacation without the long-distance travel expenses. Here are 10 fun, family-friendly activities that are sure to make your staycation a memorable one.
- Behind-the-scenes tours: museums and factories, fire stations and police stations, movie theater projection room, the pinsetters at a bowling alley, television stations, radio stations, and newspaper production facilities.
- Museums, observatories, planetariums: Art, science, children’s aviation, history are just a few adventures that await you!
- Historical Exploration: Sully Historic Site, Historic Green Spring Gardens and Historic Huntley offer tours, programs and activities great for historians of any age.
- Scenic train rides: Ranging from about 30 minutes to day-long trips. Some have pretend “train robberies” and other shows.
- Water parks: Try the Water Mine at Lake Fairfax or Our Special Harbor spray ground at Lee District Park.
- Zoos and aquariums: Many zoos also offer behind the scenes “VIP” tours and have special camp programs for kids.
- Sporting events: From Little League to professional teams, the options are almost limitless. Equestrian events at Frying Pan Park are also great fun.
- Nature: Camping, hiking, biking, fishing, and wilderness viewing areas are plentiful at local county parks.
- Local festivals: Celebrate Fairfax and the Herndon Festival are both offered annually in June.
- Outdoor Amusements: Mini golf, carousels, train rides, and boat rentals are offered at many county parks at a low cost.
NEW to Fairfax County Parks
- Lake Fairfax Skate Park in Reston- 15,000 square feet of skating area in a streetscape design, boasting a magnificent bowl structure, multi-colored features, a shark fine, a manual pad, a euro gap, a LA high wall, and much more. The skate park opened in October 2012. Admission is free.
- Our Special Harbor sprayground is located at Lee District Park. This zero-water-depth sprayground carries the theme of the Chesapeake Bay throughout the interactive water features and is fully-accessible for children of ALL abilities. Play in the water maze, watch out for the water-dumping crab basket, or board the custom skipjack and crab boat! Admission is free.
- The Tiki Village playground is the first of three sections planned for Chessie’s BIG Backyard, a family recreation area designed and planned with children of all abilities in mind at Lee District Park. The treehouse-themed playground features slides, swings, and other equipment specially designed for children ages 5-12, including those with special needs.
Free Summer Entertainment in the Parks!
Concerts, movies, children’s shows and other entertaining programs
take center stage during the summer in Fairfax County parks.
Bring a picnic dinner, blankets and lawn chairs to enjoy great performances ranging from children’s puppet shows to big band, jazz, bluegrass, rock, classical and world music. Performances are held weekly in June, July, and August with children series on Saturday mornings and family concerts Wednesdays through Sunday. The free summer entertainment is brought to you by local businesses, the Fairfax County Park Authority and the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors.
To see what’s playing at your local park, visit
Try Something New!
- MIND: Count backwards by threes in your mind from 100 to one – 100, 97, 94, etc.
- BODY: Riding public transportation? Give up your seat and stand instead to get good balance practice.
- WELL-BEING: Let go of negative thoughts with three cleansing breaths.
UPCOMING WORKSHOPS & EVENTS
All events are free (unless indicated with a "$") and
require advanced registration.
To register , please email Take12@fairfaxcounty.gov.
Healthy Workshops and Events are always being added!
Check our events calendar often for great opportunities in the community.
Check back often for upcoming 'Take 12' workshops and events!
'TAKE 12! STEPS FOR YOUR HEALTH IN 2013' PROGRAM SPONSORS
The Take 12 program is free and anyone can participate at any time. This program is designed to:
Healthy Steps Archives
Did you miss out on the "Take 12" healthy steps from the years past? Click the links below to see previous year's goals, and start your own program for better health.
Fairfax County Park Authority
Attn: Take 12 Program
12055 Government Center Pkwy, Suite 425
Fairfax, VA 22035-1118