Sitting rooms and living quarters open onto the first floor hall and second floor passage way. Lee's cousin, Thomas Shippen, a house guest from Pennsylvania in 1794, reported to his father, "I would fain give you some idea of the elegance
in which this kinsman of ours has settled himself...This house (is) lately furnished from Phila. with every article of silver plate, mahogany, wilton carpeting, and glassware that can be conceived...
Parlours and chambers completely equipped with every luxury as well as convenience."
Lee had begun to collect furnishings for his small but stylish manor house while still living in his log home. Eventually a sideboard, two dining tables and a pair of card tables were placed in the new residence
alongside mahogany chairs, a desk and 'handsom'knife cases. Blue and white Chinese export porcelain, glass tumblers and decanters, a silver plated urn
and flatware having "green Ivory handles of the best sort, the handles of the finest and largest sizes" adorned the dining table.
Sully was sold in 1811 by Richard Bland Lee. Financial reverses played a part in the decision and it is likely, too, that Elizabeth Lee cared more for the advantages of city life for herself and her children.
At the same time, her husband was drawn to offices of public service which also kept him away from his country estate. For whatever reasons, Sully was offered for sale and quickly sold to a cousin, Francis Lightfoot Lee.
Lee's 1787 inheritance from his father included land, livestock and the ownership of 29 slaves. Among them were Sam, the blacksmith; John, a manservant; Prue, the mother of several children; Thornton, a male cook; and Caine and Eave, who had lived and worked at Sully since 1746. These black men and women,
along with four tenants, provided the essential labor and artisan skills upon which the family depended. Their activities encompassed every aspect of operating the farm.
Thornton and other cooks employed their skills in the kitchen "which is abt. 60 feet from the house (and) is a finer one than is in twenty miles square, and is in fact a Kitchen and Laundry with a very handsome chimney..." A large double
fireplace separates the two rooms. This single structure is connected to the house by a covered walkway
which was the access most likely used by house slaves serving meals and carrying out assigned tasks.