Proposed Internship Projects: Administration Division
Title: Human Resources Intern
Description: The intern will assist the Manager of the Human Capital Management Division with projects which include recruitment and training initiatives, collecting employee information on certifications and licenses and creating a database which includes this information, working on an orientation manual for seasonal employees, special projects, compiling and maintaining a training database, and completion of position descriptions for seasonal positions.
Required: Hold a junior or senior standing in a four-year program majoring in human resources, business administration, public administration, organizational development, or a related field and have a “major” grade point average of at least 2.5.
Title: Human Resources Intern : Water Mine Family Swimmin' Hole
Description: The Water Mine Family Swimmin' Hole is a seasonal outdoor water park operated by Fairfax County Park Authority. Each summer, the Water Mine recruits, hires, and trains upwards of 150 seasonal employees, including lifeguards, cashiers, and seasonal supervisors.
Under the direction and supervision of the Water Mine manager and the Aquatics manager, the Human Resources Intern is responsible for assisting with recruiting and hiring seasonal staff, and tracking their training and performance.
This position requires flexible availability, to include weekdays, weekends, daytime, and evening shifts. Most of the staff employed at the Water Mine are school-aged and must be contacted and met with during the late-afternoon/evening and weekends. Part time work may begin as early as February, continuing through the preseason. Full time work (up to 40 hours/week) may begin in March/April and continue throughout the summer season. The park closes for the season on Labor Day, and part time work may be offered up until October or later to assist with winterizing the facility and other administrative duties.
The position is located in Lake Fairfax Park in Reston.
- Advertise available positions for seasonal employment
- Review incoming applications and respond to all applicants
- Schedule and conduct interviews
- Make employment and salary offers under the direction of the manager
- Process hire paperwork
- Register employees for lifeguard, CPR, and first aid trainings
- Schedule employees for orientation and other agency required trainings
- Assist with managing the documentation of employee trainings and certifications
- Maintain an internal system to track employee performance
- Verify and submit time sheets on a weekly basis
Required: Excellent organizational management skills; better than average verbal and written communication skills; able to exercise great initiative independent judgment; able to maintain the confidential information; outstanding interpersonal relations skills; knowledge and experience in recruitment and employee relations; solid problem-solving skills.
Title: Development Intern – Fairfax County Park Foundation
Description: Intern to assist in supporting fundraising campaigns, tracking results, designing appeals, assisting in direct marketing, email and social media initiatives.
This is an unpaid internship that may qualify for university credit.
- Updating donor records and reaching out to current and prospective donors/partners
- Assist in thanking/cultivating individual donors/stakeholders
- Modifying donor records and digitizing print files
- Tracking donor origination from data lists to determine the success rate of various lists
- Participating in mail/email list prep for Summer/Autumn appeal
- Assisting with evaluation of FCPF sponsored events/programs, including visiting Late Night Skate, Arts in the Parks, Summer Entertainment Series and Rec-PAC. Help in documenting success stories for the events/programs.
- Help FCPF expand its social media outreach.
- Creating informational/educational packets for friends groups, community groups & partners
- Help researching potential foundations in Foundation Center Database
Required: Ability to communicate effectively; comfort with Excel, Word and Internet research. Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge database is ideal, but not necessary.
Title: Fairfax County Park Authority Financial Management Audit and Benchmarking
Description: Intern will assist in the audit process. Intern will coordinate and track the required audit schedules, compile and track audit questions and assist with audit preparation. Intern will learn the comprehensive effort involved in the audit process for financial statement development.
Intern will also benchmark financial data of the Park Authority with other jurisdictions to begin an effort to compare financial data.
Requirements: Accounting/Financial/Business field students, proficient in excel/word, analytical skills, ability to communicate effectively, research skills.