Board of Supervisors Meeting Podcast Transcript: June 22, 2010
Welcome to the podcast of meeting highlights for the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors meeting on June 22, 2010.
- The Board designated June 20-26 as Fire and EMS Safety, Health and Survival Week in Fairfax County. Members of emergency medical services teams, whether career or volunteer, engage in thousands of hours of specialized training and continuing education to enhance lifesaving skills.
- The Board recognized the Lake Braddock Secondary School Odyssey of the Mind Team for its accomplishments. Team members sought creative solutions to problems through teamwork and cooperation to qualify for the worldwide competition.
- The Board recognized Laurel Ridge Elementary School for its 40th anniversary. The school offers a variety of learning spaces and opportunities for children, including advanced technology resources and open pod learning spaces.
- The Board recognized the Madison High School Crew Team for winning gold medals in the Virginia Scholastic Rowing Championships and the silver medal at the National Championship held in Saratoga Springs, New York.
- The Board recognized the South Lakes High School Boys Track and Field Team for winning the Liberty District title and first place at the Northern Region Track and Field Championship for the third consecutive year.
- The Board designated June 25, 2010, as Korean War Remembrance Day in Fairfax County. The Korean War brought together the forces of 16 nations and featured the first use of United Nations troops and fully integrated U.S. Armed Forces.
- The Board designated June 26 as Hepatitis Awareness Day in Fairfax County. Hepatitis C impacts individuals, families, the workplace, medical resources and other major areas of life.
Three employees received the Onthank Award, the highest honor Fairfax County bestows on its employees. The awardees are:
- Steve Aitcheson, director, Maintenance and Stormwater Management Division, Department of Public Works and Environmental Services.
- Len Wales, county debt manager, Department of Management and Budget.
- Grace P. Starbird, retired, Area Agency on Aging, Department of Family Services.
- During the meeting, the Transportation Advisory Commission (TAC) presented the Transportation Achievement Award to Charlie Strunk, bicycle coordinator, Fairfax County Department of Transportation. Janyce Hedetniemi was recognized by the Board for her service on the TAC.
The Board approved the 2010 zoning ordinance amendment work program.
The Board noted the contract award for the Enterprise Resource Planning System implementation services.
The Board approved the County’s share of the Metro capital funding agreement (approximately $143 million) through 2016.
The Board removed the August 3, 2010 meeting from their calendar. There will be no meeting of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors on August 3, 2010. The last meeting before the summer recess will be on July 27, 2010.
The Board authorized a letter that has been sent to Governor McDonnell expressing concerns about the Commonwealth’s request for two Metro Board seats in exchange for the state’s funding.
The Board held a public hearing on the comprehensive plan amendment for the Tysons Corner Urban Centerand zoning ordinance amendment to establish the PTC Planned Tysons Corner Urban District. The Board adopted them both, as well as several follow-on motions and guidelines.
That’s all for this podcast of meeting highlights for the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, thanks for listening.
The Office of Public Affairs uses Twitter, a social media platform that allows short messages/updates. Highlights of Board of Supervisors meetings were covered live on the county's Twitter page at www.twitter.com/fairfaxcounty.
More information about the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, including full meeting minutes and documents, can be found on the county's Web site.
This podcast is produced by the Fairfax County, VA, government.