Board of Supervisors Meeting Podcast Transcript: May 22, 2012
Welcome to the podcast of meeting highlights for the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors meeting on May 22, 2012.
The Board recognized:
Terrence D. Jones, president and CEO of the Wolf Trap Foundation for
the Performing Arts, for his years of service.
Len Forkas for his cross-country bicycle race to support Hopecam.
Jennifer and Tim Gale for their donation to the Fire and Rescue
Department Acquired Structures
Program for public safety training.
the Great Falls Volunteer Fire Department for its efforts to build a
new fire station.
the efforts and contributions of the Girl Scout Council of the Nation’s
Capital Area and the Girl Scouts of the USA for its 100th
- the Greater Springfield Chamber of Commerce for its 55th anniversary.
The Board designated:
May 20-26 as Small Business Week
in Fairfax County.
May 31-June 3 as Springfield Days in Fairfax County.
The Board adopted the updated Northern Virginia Regional Hazard
The Board approved four bond referenda for the ballot on November 6,
2012, totaling $185 million. These bond funds, if approved, would be
used to pay for capital improvements and replacement of existing County
facilities associated with parks, public safety, libraries and also
storm drainage improvements to prevent flooding.
- The Board authorized the following interim actions for the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board. These are first steps before more comprehensive actions are taken to address a projected budget shortfall.
1) The Human Services Council will facilitate a public review process to prioritize, review, and evaluate the impact of the CSB’s proposed budget management plan on individuals, families, provider network, and the human services system.
2) The Infant and Toddler Connection (ITC) early
intervention services waiting list will be maintained while continuing
CSB-provided assessment and facilitation of potential next steps and
resume early intervention referrals as State funding is available.
3) Employment and day services will be initiated for 19 new high school graduates with intellectual disability who have urgent needs upon graduation.
4) The allocation of contract rate adjustment funds to CSB contractors will be suspended pending final carryover decisions by the Board of Supervisors.
5) All measures to contain costs through further efficiencies and probationary staff reductions will be immediately taken.
- A special meeting of the Fairfax County Solid Waste Authority was held to appoint a new executive director.
That’s all for this podcast of meeting highlights for the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, thanks for listening.
For more information about the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, including full meeting minutes and documents, visit the county Web site: www.fairfaxcounty.gov
This podcast is produced by the Fairfax County, VA, government.