Credit Card Theft & Fraud
Are you taking steps to protect your financial security? Along with skyrocketing popularity of credit and debit cards, the potential for financial crimes and abuse has risen too. Don’t become a victim of credit card theft or fraud. Remember the following:
- Contact your credit card company as soon as possible to report its loss, theft or suspected fraudulent use
- You may be required to fill out an affidavit of fraud/forgery
- The credit card company is considered the “real” victim of the offense
- As the card holder, you will be required as a witness if the case is prosecuted
Contact the three major credit reporting agencies
There are three main reporting agencies
- Equifax (800) 685-1111
- Experian (888) 397-3742
- Trans Union (800) 680-7289
- If any account is not accurate, the representative can explain how to have it removed from the credit report. It usually takes about 30 days for any activity to show up.
- There are three main reporting agencies
Questions? Contact the FCPD Financial Crimes Section at 703-246-7800 for more information.