Explorer Posts 1742, 2252 and 505
The Explorer Posts accept applications once a year in the Autumn. For more information please attend a First Nighter information meeting held at the below dates and times:
* Post 1742: Wednesday September 23, 2015 at 7:00 p.m. at Stone Middle School, 5500 Sully Park Dr, Centreville, VA 20120
* Post 2252: Wednesday September 30, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. at West Potomac High School, 6500 Quander Road, Alexandria, VA 22307
* Post 505: Thursday October 1, 2015 at 6:00 p.m at Woodson High School, 9525 Main Street, Fairfax, VA 22031
The Fairfax County Police Department Explorer Posts 1742, 2252 and
505 are youth run programs open to young people ages 14 (and
completed the 8th grade) to 20 with an interest in learning more about
careers in law enforcement. The programs provide opportunities to learn
about law enforcement, serve the community through public service, and
teach important life skills such as leadership, public speaking, and
Explorers receive extensive training in various techniques used by law enforcement professionals. This training includes traffic stops, building searches, bomb threat response, hostage negotiation, accident reconstruction, and arrest & search techniques. Explorers become familiar with police radio procedures, patrol areas, vehicles, equipment, and methods of patrol. In addition, Explorers are eligible to participate in the department's ride along program where they get to ride with a patrol officer and experience life through the eyes of an officer. Explorers are given an overview of the Fairfax County Police Department as a whole and its daily operations.
Every other year, members of the Explorer Posts travel to regional and national events to compete against other Explorer Posts throughout the world by utilizing the training they have received throughout the year. Their knowledge of police procedures and responses to various scenarios are assessed by judges who themselves are police officers.
Post 1742, Post 2252 and Post 505 conduct bi-monthly, Post membership meetings, each month (holidays excluded) with a summer break in July.
Meeting locations and times are as follows:
Post 1742: 14601 Lee Rd, Chantilly, VA 20151 - The Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy (West) 7-9 p.m.
Post 2252: 6500 Quander Rd, Alexandria, VA 22307 - West Potomac High School (South) 6-9 p.m.
Post 505: 9525 Main Street, Fairfax, VA 22031 - Woodson High School (East) 7-9 p.m.
The Explorer Posts model the Fairfax County Police Department and are paramilitary organizations with strict rules and regulations.
To be considered for acceptance into Explorer Post 1742, 2252 or 505 the following standards must be met:
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident alien with application for naturalization filed and pending with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Possess, or be able to acquire, a valid government issued photo ID (i.e. passport, driver's license, military ID, state issued identification card)
- No current Illegal drug use. Prior drug use will be reviewed with respect to recent use, type of drug and frequency of use
- Never been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor. Involvement in past criminal activity will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- Maintain a “C” (2.0) grade average in their respective school if applicable
- Attend mandatory meetings, training, and community outreach events.
- Actively participate in fund raising events
- Able to purchase necessary equipment and uniforms (every effort is made to keep expenses to a minimum)