We are committed to providing professional services to the community and to being accountable to the public. The Internal Affairs Bureau handles complaints and compliments about police performance and services. Officers assigned to IA thoroughly investigate each complaint or incident and participate in the preparation of cases used in the disciplinary process.
- What is a complaint?
- What is the best way to file a complaint?
- What happens once I file a complaint?
- Do I have to give my name to make a complaint against an officer?
- File a complaint now.
- An allegation of an act or omission which, if proven true, would amount to employee misconduct
- An expression of dissatisfaction with a policy, practice, procedure, philosophy, service level, or legal standard of the police department
- Use the online complaint form
- Contact the Internal Affairs Commander via e-mail
- Call the Internal Affairs Bureau at 703-246-2793
Mail or deliver your complaint in person at:
- 4100 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, VA 22030
- Contact the Chief of Police via e-mail
- Visit any Police District Station and ask to speak to a supervisor
- A police supervisor will contact you about your complaint
- Your complaint will be assigned to the appropriate supervisor for investigation
- Your complaint may remain with the employee’s immediate supervisor; be sent up the chain of command, or forwarded to Internal Affairs, depending on the severity of the situation
No. We will accept anonymous complaints or compliments from individuals and third party observers.
- All compliments are forwarded to the employee’s commander
- Commanders notify the employee and place a copy of the compliment in the employee’s personnel file
- Supervisors will consider all compliments and complaints when conducting periodic performance reviews