INTERNAL AFFAIRS/FAIRFAX COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT
The Fairfax County Police Department Internal Affairs Bureau handles complaints and compliments involving Fairfax County police officers and civilian employees of the police department. We are committed to providing professional services to the community and to being accountable to the public. Detectives assigned to the Internal Affairs Bureau investigate each complaint or incident thoroughly and impartially, as well as, prepare investigative reports used for policy change recommendations, training recommendations, consideration, or disciplinary actions.
Please Note; if you are an inmate in the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center, please DO NOT send questions/comments/complaints to the Fairfax County Police Department, Internal Affairs Bureau. Instead, please direct all correspondence to; The Fairfax County Sheriff’s Office – Internal Affairs, 4110 Chain Bridge Road Fairfax, Virginia 22030. If you are an inmate in any other jurisdiction within the Commonwealth of Virginia, and you have a question/comment/complaint regarding an employee in your facility, please direct your correspondence to your respective jurisdiction.
- What is a complaint?
- What is the best way to file a complaint?
- What happens once I file a complaint?
- Do I have to give my name to make a complaint against an officer?
- File a complaint now.
- An allegation of an act or omission which, if proven true, would amount to employee misconduct
- An expression of dissatisfaction with a policy, practice, procedure, philosophy, service level, or legal standard of the police department
- Use the online complaint form
- Contact the Internal Affairs Commander via e-mail
- Call the Internal Affairs Bureau at 703-246-2793
Mail or deliver your complaint in person at:
- 4100 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, VA 22030
- Contact the Chief of Police via e-mail
- Visit any Police District Station and ask to speak to a supervisor
- A police supervisor will contact you about your complaint
- Your complaint will be assigned to the appropriate supervisor for investigation
- Your complaint may remain with the employee’s immediate supervisor; be sent up the chain of command, or forwarded to Internal Affairs, depending on the severity of the situation
No. We will accept anonymous complaints or compliments from individuals and third party observers.
- All compliments are forwarded to the employee’s commander
- Commanders notify the employee and place a copy of the compliment in the employee’s personnel file
- Supervisors will consider all compliments and complaints when conducting periodic performance reviews