If you’re between the ages of 18 and 20 and are interested in becoming a police officer, the Fairfax County Police Department’s Police Cadet program is for you!
- What does a Police Cadet do?
- What does it take to be a Police Cadet?
- Are cadets paid?
- Are there any special requirements?
- What about college?
- How do I apply?
The duties vary widely and no two days are alike. Assignments may be in one or more of the following police programs:
- Police patrol (assigned to a police district station)
- Property room
- Criminal investigations
- Crime scene investigation section
- Central records
- Operations support bureau (traffic, special operations, helicopter)
- Criminal Justice Academy
- Public Information Office
- Must be within 120 days of 18th birthday, or already age 18, on date of application to begin the selection process. Police Cadets must be 18 to 20 years of age at date of appointment.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien with an application for naturalization filed and pending with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Uncorrected vision not worse than 20/200, provided there has been at least six months success wearing soft contact lenses. Without soft contact lenses, uncorrected vision cannot be worse than 20/100. In any case, vision must be correctable to 20/20.
- Must be a high school graduate or possess a valid G.E.D. certificate recognized by the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Possess, or can acquire, a valid operator’s license by date of appointment as a Police Cadet.
- Illegal drug use will be scrutinized with respect to recent use, type of drug and frequency of use
- Have never committed, been involved in or convicted of a felony or a serious misdemeanor
- Be of good character and reputation
- Have the ability to perform essential job functions with or without a reasonable accommodation
- If under age 18, applicants will need parental consent to participate in some phases of the application and screening process
- The salary range for a police cadet is $27,222 - 36,295.65 Grade (S-09)
- All uniforms and equipment provided by Department
- For more information on benefits, for "B" status employees, request a benefits packet from your recruiting contact.
- Cadets pursuing a college education may be eligible for tuition reimbursement if the program is funded within the Department's budget.
- AIMS registration, resume' builder, and resume' submission - 90 minutes
- Self-completion of Applicant Initital Screening Guide - 1 Hour
- Polygraph- 3 hours
- Psychological exam- 8 hours
- Physical abilities test- 3 hours
- Background interview- 4 hours
- Medical exam- 4 hours
- Entire background investigation- 8-12 weeks
Subsequent to a conditional job offer, applicants must:
- Pass a comprehensive medical exam, including drug testing and vision standard.
- Incumbents shall not use any tobacco products on and off duty starting at the time of appointment. The incumbent must be willing to sign a Condition of Employment Agreement acknowledging the prohibition of the use of tobacco products both on and off duty.
- Current job announcement for Police Cadet; Job # 13-0298
- Submit your resume' online through the AIMS system. If this is the first time you have used AIMS, you will need to create an account.
For more information:
- Applicants needing AIMS assistance or with additional questions regarding the application process may call the HR Central Application Center at 703-222-5872.
- Applicants with questions about the selection process may call the Fairfax County Police Department Personnel Resources Division at 703-246-7560.
Fairfax County is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veterans' status or disabled veterans. Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance; TTY 703-222-7314. Minorities and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. EEO/AA/TTY.