Meet the Fairfax County Police Volunteers, Friday, April 13th, 7 p.m.
Fairfax County Police Department
Public Information Office
4100 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax, Va. 22030
703-246-2253. TTY 703-204-2264. Fax 703-246-4253
News Release: 12/VolAwards
April 10, 2012
Meet the Fairfax County Police Volunteers
Friday, April 13, 2012 at 7 p.m. in the Government Center Board Room
From patrol to photography to providing spiritual solace, FCPD volunteers serve in vital roles essential to public safety. In 2011, Fairfax County residents dedicated nearly 65,000 hours to the Fairfax County Police Department and every year since 1983, they have contributed significant hours of their own time volunteering with the department. In June of 2011 the Auxiliary Police Officer program surpassed the one million hours of service mark.
The 207 members of the department’s Volunteers in Police Service (VIPS), Auxiliary Police Officers (APOs) and Chaplains are assigned to every local district police station and other police facilities. They come from a variety of backgrounds and offer a plethora of skills and abilities to the agency while providing a great cost benefit to the county.
Meet our volunteers on Friday, April 13, 2012 at 7 p.m. in the Fairfax County Government Center Board Room. The keynote speaker for this event will be the Honorable Ken Cuccinelli, II, Attorney General of Virginia.
Over 80 awards will be presented to our dedicated volunteers, including:
- Awards for 500 up to 25,000 committed hours to the department
- President’s Call to Service Award (4,000 or more service hours)
- Joyce McDermott Award for Outstanding Auxiliary Police Officer
- 25 years or more of service to the department (Auxiliary Police Officers)
- VIPS/APOs of the Year for Patrol, Administration, Crime Prevention and Training
- Innovative Project Award for the Reston District Station 2011 Safe December Anti-DWI Campaign
To get involved with our police volunteer programs, visit the Fairfax County Police website (search by keyword: VIPS, APO, Citizens Police Academy); or go directly to:
- VIPS: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/oem/citizencorps/vips.htm
- APO: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/jobs/auxiliarypoliceofficer.htm
- Citizens Police Academy: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/services/citizens-police-academy.htm
Volunteers are vital to support FCPD services, such as the Motor Carrier Safety unit, shown here.