Citizens' Police Academy
Would You Like to Take a Glimpse Behind the Badge?
Have you ever wondered what police officers do all day or why they run radar at a specific location? You can find answers to all of your questions by enrolling in the Citizen’s Police Academy.
You’ll get hands-on instruction from expert officers and civilians from all over the department and you’ll have plenty of opportunities to ask questions. The goal is to give you a better understanding of police work and a greater awareness of the daily challenges faced by our officers.
- Police training including weapons and driving
- Animal Control
- The police helicopter and its capabilities
- Gangs in our county and the Gang Unit
- The Explosive Ordinance Disposal Team (Bomb Squad)
- Crime scene investigations
- Criminal investigations
- Neighborhood Patrol Units
- Crime analysis
- Crime prevention
- Traffic enforcement and management
- The Department of Public Safety Communications (911 call center)
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Open to all who live or work in Fairfax County
- Must clear a review of your criminal record and police contact history prior to acceptance
- Total time commitment: 35 hours over 10 weeks
- Classes meet on nine Thursdays from 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Graduation is on a Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Class locations rotate around to police facilities throughout the county
- Due to the popularity of this class, you’re asked to commit to attending at least eight of the 10 sessions
- No transportation provided
To apply, download the application form and follow the included instructions.
You may contact us by phone at 703-280-0713 or contact us by email through our online form.