Concealed Handgun Permits
Concealed handgun permits are regulated by the Commonwealth of Virginia and issued by the Circuit Court in each jurisdiction. Those authorized by the court must have a valid permit and photo ID in their possession while carrying a concealed handgun.
- Minimum age 21
- Must get approval from the Circuit Court
- United States citizen or a non-citizen with lawful alien status
- Submit an application
- Pass a background check
- Effective July 1, 2006, all Concealed Handgun Permits granted by the court will be mailed to the applicants.
- Conducted by the Concealed Weapons Unit of the Fairfax County Police Department
Includes, but not limited to
- Computer checks (VA DMV and National Crime Information Center and others)
- Research archives (Court documents)
- Investigative reports (Previous contact with police)
- Correspondence to and from other jurisdictions (Previous contact with police)