Central Records - Services
PLEASE NOTE: Due to a pre-planned system upgrade, The Central Records Section will only be able to provide fingerprinting services on Monday, November 30 and Tuesday, December 1. They will not be able to access computer information or provide criminal record checks, photographs, incident reports, crash reports, or expungment information during this time. In addition, the Property Section will have limited release authority during this same time so please plan accordingly. We apologize in advance for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
The Central Records Section of the Fairfax County Police Department is located at 10600 Page Avenue, Fairfax, Virginia 22030. The office is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The office closes at 3 p.m. every Wednesday. You may call our office during regular business hours at 703-246-2272.
We are across the street from the public parking garage, and next to the Juvenile Detention Center on Page Avenue. There is no public parking in front of the building except for those with valid handicap placards. You will need to park in the public garage. For a map of the Courthouse and Public Safety Center showing the Central (Police) Records building location and the public parking garage, click here.
The following information is available on this web page:
Please allow 10 business days to process your mail-in request.
Who is entitled to copies of crash reports?
- Driver and Passengers involved in the crash
- Injured persons/pedestrians/bicyclists involved in the crash
- Property/Vehicle owners
- Attorneys and/or insurance agents representing the driver or property owner
To obtain a copy if I am one of the above
- Make requests in writing to the Central Records address listed above. Please indicate on the envelope that the request is for an accident report.
- Make requests in person, during regular business hours at the Central Records office.
- If you were not involved in a hit and run accident, you may be able to obtain a copy of the report from your nearest district police station. Please call the district station to verify availability if you would like to pursue this option.
- For requests made by mail, please allow approximately three weeks for receipt of the requested report.
Fees for obtaining a crash report
- NO fee for drivers, passengers, property owners or injured persons.
- All others must pay a $5 fee by cash,Visa, MasterCard, money order or check made payable to the County of Fairfax.
PLEASE NOTE: POLICE DO NOT TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS AT EVERY ACCIDENT SCENE.
Who can obtain police photographs taken at the crash scene?
If police took photographs, they may be available for purchase by:
- Vehicle owners, drivers and passengers
- Attorneys or insurance companies representing the owners and/or drivers
- Injured persons
- Property owners
How much are police photographs of traffic crashes?
- A fee of $2 per print is charged
A CD containing accident photographs may be available. Please contact
Central Records for details regarding availability and pricing.
- Payment can be made in the form of cash, Visa, MasterCard, money order or check made payable to the County of Fairfax
To obtain police photographs from the traffic crash
- Call Central Records during regular business hours.
- Make requests in person during regular business hours.
To obtain a copy of a police report
Copies of police reports are released only to law enforcement officers or by subpoena. However, if you were involved in an incident that resulted in a police report, you may obtain an incident verification form. It includes brief, written verification that a police report was filed, including the case number assigned to that incident, date and location of the incident, type of incident, and the officer's name.
Incident verification forms are available for;
- Victims of a crime
- Property owners
- Those directly involved in the incident itself
- Complainants (those who reported the incident to the police department).
To obtain an incident verification form
- Make requests in writing to the Central Records address listed above. Please indicate on the envelope that the request is for an incident verification form.
- Make requests in person during regular business hours.
Fee for incident verification forms
- There is a $10 fee
- Payment accepted in the form of cash, Visa or MasterCard, money order or check made payable to the County of Fairfax
If you need your fingerprints taken, you may visit the Central Records office at the address listed above, during regular business hours.
*We do not provide blank fingerprint cards. Ask your prospective employer or requesting agency to provide cards. You may also be able to obtain fingerprint cards from the following agencies:
The FBI; click on the link and print your own cards
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/standard-fingerprint-form-fd-258 Please be aware that your employer may not accept this card.
The Virginia State Police: Call (703) 803-2661.
You must bring:
- Your own fingerprint cards*
Two valid forms of identification from the list below; (At least one must contain your photograph and date of birth.)
U.S. or Foreign Passport
Driver’s License or DMV Identification Card
Military Identification Card
Social Security Card
Permanent Resident Card
Work Authorization Card
University I.D. Card
Voter Registration Card
Birth Certificate (Original or Certified) (Foreign must include professional translation)
Federal/State/Local Government-Issued License or Permit
Fees for fingerprinting Services
- A $10 fee is charged for printing the first card.
- A fee of $5 is charged for the printing of each additional card.
- Payment in the form of cash, Visa, MasterCard, money order or check made payable to the County of Fairfax is accepted.
*This is a Record Check for ADULT Criminal Charges that occurred in Fairfax County ONLY, where Fairfax County Police responded and/or charged an individual.
To obtain a copy of my criminal record
If you live in the immediate area, you may appear in person at the Central Records address listed above.
If you live outside the immediate metro-area, please follow these instructions.
You will be required to provide two forms of valid identification from the list below; (One must contain your photograph and none can be expired.)
- U.S. Driver’s License OR DMV issued ID card
- U.S. or Foreign Passport
- U.S. Social Security Card
- U.S. Military Identification
Original Birth Certificate (Original Foreign birth certificates MUST be accompanied by an ORIGINAL certified professional translation). Please DO NOTprovide copies of either your birth certificate or translation.
**Pursuant to Virginia Law, no other forms of identification will be accepted. If you do not have at least two of these, we will not be able to process your request and you will be instructed to return at a later date with the necessary identification.
Fee for obtaining a copy of my criminal record
A $10 fee is charged
Cash, check/money order (made payable to the County of Fairfax), Visa or Mastercard are accepted.
PD Form 23 is used to request an individual’s Fairfax County Police criminal history. If you wish, you may print out the request form from this link and complete the portion titled REQUESTOR USE prior to requesting your record in person at the Central Records Office.
Can I obtain a copy of someone else's criminal record?
No, you can only get a copy of your own record. Criminal history records are not public information.