Burglary Prevention Tips
Serial Burglaries and Larcenies in Fairfax County
Situation Update, Wednesday, September 29, 2010
As of this morning, there are at least 82 incidents related to this serial burglar. Of those, there are 53 burglaries and attempted burglaries. The remaining 29 incidents are larcenies from vehicles, suspicious noises and suspicious persons. These numbers are fluid and continue to change on a daily basis as more reports are investigated.
- In all but one burglary, entry was made via unlocked/open doors and windows and garage doors.
- Two handguns have been stolen out of vehicles.
- Residents are urged to lock their doors and windows and garage doors. This is your best deterrent!
- Do not leave items of value in an unattended car. This includes GPS units, purses, money, garage door openers, keys, etc.
- Do not leave purses, keys or cash by entry points in your home.
- If you have older children that come home late, urge them to ensure they are locking up when they arrive home.
- The suspect will force entry into vehicles if he sees valuables inside.
- The suspect appears to be focusing on money and small items in homes and vehicles.
- Talk to your neighbors and look out for each other.
- Report suspicious persons to police right away.