2006 Providence District VolunteerFest®
Supervisor Smyth is delighted to host the 2006 Providence District VolunteerFest® on October 28, in conjunction with VolunteerFest® and the National Make a Difference Day. The week long 2006 Providence VolunteerFest® events will kick off at the Merrifield Festival on October 21 at 10 a.m. at Luther Jackson Middle School, 3020 Gallows Road, Falls Church and showcase Volunteerism in Action across Providence District.
Saturday, October 21 events will be held at Luther Jackson Middle School,
3020 Gallows Road, Falls Church, from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
• Second Merrifield Festival – sponsored by the Greater Merrifield Business Association.
• Providence Perspective – Supervisor Smyth’s office will be conducting oral history interviews.
• Health Fair - Inova Health System will host several preventive health activities.
Saturday, October 28 events will be held throughout Providence District
• Food Drive - Supervisor Smyth’s office/Food for Others
8739 Lee Highway, Fairfax - Food and book sale donations will be received all day from October 16 – 27 at this location.
• Book Sale - Friends of the Oakton Library
2854 Hunter Mill Road, Oakton (Unity of Fairfax Church) - Book sale will take place from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. This book sale will benefit the new Oakton Community Library, which is currently under construction next to the Unity of Fairfax Church.
• Child ID – Delegate Shannon’s Office (35th District) - Child safety and identification will take place from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
2854 Hunter Mill Road, (Oakton Unity of Fairfax Church) – Project time and more details will be posted on the Web site.
• Mini Golf – Greater Merrifield Business Association (GMBA)/Police Department/Park Authority
The GMBA and the Police Department will host a round of mini golf with students selected from the Graham Road ES.
Park Projects - Fairfax County Park Authority
Parks located in Providence District – Projects details are available by calling 703-324-8597, TTY 711.
Nottoway Park - Friends of Nottoway Park - Project will take place rain or shine!
9537 Courthouse Road, Vienna -
Help give Nottoway Park a face lift! Bring the family and make a difference at your local park.
Time: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Projects: Remove invasive vines and plants along trails and paths and improve path surfaces in several areas of the
Gear: Wear old clothes and shoes and bring hats, gloves and water bottles. Bring your trimmers, clippers, rakes, shovels and other garden tools (wheelbarrows welcome!).
Directions: If driving, take Service Entrance to Park at 9601 Courthouse Rd (look for Pedestrian Crossing sign and basketball courts). Park in the lot by the basketball courts or in front the community gardens. Meet for assignments at the big tree along the gravel road between the two areas of community gardens. There will be a dumpster by this tree.
• Children’s Winter Clothing Collection - Fairfax County Public Schools, Providence District School Board Member, Phil Niedzielski-Eichner and Supervisor’s offices.
Schools located in Providence District – Donations will be accepted from October 16 – October 27 during school hours.
• Horse Demonstration – Fairfax4Horses
2841 Hunter Mill Road, Oakton – Enjoy an educational and demonstrative session about horses from 11 a.m. – noon. The location is the new Oakton Community Park opposite Mystic Meadow Way.
• Adopt a Soldier - James Lee Community Center
2855-A James Lee Street, Falls Church – kits will be made from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
• Event Promotions – The Providence Players/Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs
2855-A James Lee Street, Falls Church (James Lee Community Center Theater) – The Providence Players 2006-2007 Season opens on October 13 at 7:30 p.m. with the production of William Saroyan’s “The Time of Your Life.”
Supervisor Smyth and the 2006 Providence District VolunteerFest® Committee
invite you, friends, family and co-workers to participate in this year’s activities.
More information on countywide projects is available on the VolunteerFest® Web site or by calling 703-246-3460, TTY 711.