Submit Redistricting Plans
Redistricting is a process controlled by state and federal laws. Those state and federal laws require or recognize the following criteria:
Equal representation among all districts so every person’s vote
counts the same
Minimal disruption to existing supervisor district patterns of
Compact districts composed of contiguous geographic
Compliance with the federal Voting Rights Act
- Consideration of established communities of interest
For more details about these concepts and criteria, please refer to the Virginia Division of Legislative Services, Guide to Local Redistricting for 2011.
Residents are invited to submit their own Fairfax County supervisor redistricting proposals following the guidelines and process outlined below.
Fairfax County Plan Submission Guidelines
1. Proposed redistricting plans must address the entire county, not just
one or a few supervisor districts.
2. Voting precincts must be used as the building blocks for new
supervisor district boundaries.
3. Proposed Fairfax County supervisor district redistricting plans must be submitted electronically no later than March 2, 2011, using the files below.
How to Submit Your Plans
1. Download the zip file below to your computer. The file contains three documents you must complete and one document with instructions. To open the zip file on your computer, simply double click on it and then save/extract the files to your computer.
Download Redistricting Zip File, which contains:
Fxdata Excel file*
Fxtext Word file*
Fxmap image file*
Readme text file
(* indicates which files must be submitted)
NOTE: To create your own map, you must edit the existing map image in the zip file using a graphics program such as Windows Paint, Adobe Photoshop, MacPaint X, or Canvas, among others.
2. Follow the instructions in the Readme text file on how to complete the files and then package them in a zip format.
3. Submit the three files (Word, Excel and image map) with completed redistricting plans no later than March 2, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submitted plans will be provided to the Advisory Citizen Redistricting Committee for its consideration as members develop recommendations to the Board of Supervisors.