Fairfax County Request for Proposals for HOME CHDO/CDBG Affordable Housing Projects FY 2013
The Fairfax County Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) announces the availability of funds under the federal Home Investment Partnerships (HOME) and Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Programs. Project proposals are being solicited to acquire affordable housing.
Preference will be given to projects meeting one or more of the following criteria:
- Include preservation and acquisition of affordable housing; AND
- Result in affordable housing that is accessible to disabled persons; and/or
- Serve extremely low income households (at or below 30% Area Median Income (AMI))
- Incorporate Fairfax County’s Consolidated Plan and Housing Blueprint objectives
- Provide beneficiaries with direct access to public transportation and/or community retail centers and/or supportive services; and/or
Projects must be completed by the applicant by February 1, 2013. Any unexpended funds will revert to HCD on that date.
The funding available under this request for proposal includes a total of $1,066,114, consisting of $310,805 in HOME Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO) set-aside funds, and $755,309 from CDBG. Organizations using HOME CHDO funding must either: 1) hold a current CHDO designation; or 2) present the necessary information to achieve a CHDO designation when requesting funds for a purchase. Click here to view the application.
ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS: To access the CDBG funds, eligible applicants must possess the following:
- A designation as a 501(c)(3) organization by the Internal Revenue Service.
- A demonstrated successful track record in owning and managing real estate. If a non-profit applicant does not have an established track record, the organization is encouraged to partner with another nonprofit organization with applicable experience.
- A demonstrated successful track record in the provision of services to the disabled or homeless. If a non-profit applicant does not have an established track record, the organization is encouraged to partner with another non-profit with applicable experience.
- A current sound financial condition. Non-profits will be required to provide the last three (3) years annual audited financial statements and auditor's opinion and management letter, if issued. Audits must be conducted by an independent licensed certified public accountant.
- No current debarment from participating in county contracts. This includes both applicants and any partnering organization identified as part of an application.
To access the HOME CHDO funding, in addition to the above, eligible applicants must be nonprofit corporations who have been officially certified as a Fairfax County Community Housing Development Organization CHDO by the Fairfax County Department of Housing and Community Development for FY 2013 (July 1, 2012-June 30, 2013); or can either meet or can reasonably be expected to meet the criteria of the federal HOME regulations for a CHDO in response to this RFP. For applications submitted by any nonprofit organizations that have not been certified as a Fairfax County CHDO for FY 2013, any such application cannot be recommended for final approval until the organization has successfully applied for and received this certification. CHDO certification applications will be accepted along with this RFP. See the CHDO Checklist (Appendix 5) for a full description of HOME CHDO criteria and required documentation.
Applications are to be received no later than 4:00 p.m., Wednesday, November 7, 2012at the 1st Floor Reception Desk, Fairfax County Department of Housing and Community Development, 3700 Pender Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030. An original and four copies are to be submitted. NOTE: A pre-proposal conference will be held Friday, October 12, 2012, 10 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at the Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority, 3700 Pender Drive Fairfax, VA 22030.
Fairfax County is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in all County programs, services and activities and will provide reasonable accommodations upon request. To request special accommodations call 703-246-5101 or TTY 703-385-3578.
 HOME Definition of CHDO, 24 CFR § 92.2 ( www.hud.gov/offices/cpd/affordablehousing/lawsandregs/regs/finalrule.pdf).