Become a Deputy Sheriff
The Fairfax County Sheriff's Office will be recruiting for the position of Deputy Sheriff beginning November 28, 2015, and concluding on January 1, 2016. Please read the information below. The position will NOT appear in the list of open county government positions until November 28.
- Carry out the core duties of the Sheriff’s Office, including managing the Adult Detention Center, providing security in the Courthouse and serving civil law process. All Sheriff's deputies are certified law enforcement officers.
- Work a 12.5 hour shift while assigned to the Adult Detention Center, either rotating one month of days and one month of nights OR working fixed days OR fixed nights. All shifts work about 15 days per month for a total of 87.5 hours per two-week pay period, include evenings, weekends and holidays.
- At least 21 years of age at date of Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy graduation and at least 20 years of age at date of application
- U.S. citizen
- High school diploma or successful completion of a U.S. Department of Education recognized G.E.D. testing program
- Must never have been convicted of a felony, serious misdemeanor or crime of moral turpitude
- Must be able to obtain a Class "A" medical rating in the assigned medical group before appointment
- Must be a non-smoker at time of appointment and willing to sign a Condition of Employment Agreement to refrain from smoking both on and off duty
- Must possess a valid motor vehicle driver's license without a negative point balance at the time of appointment
- Must successfully complete a field training program (on-the-job-training) upon graduation from the Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy
Must obtain the following from the Virginia Department of Criminal
Justice Services within one year of appointment:
- Certification as a law enforcement officer
- Certification as a jailor
- Certification in court security and civil process
- Certification in firearms proficiency
Apply through Fairfax County’s online job application system (powered by NEOGOV). To find the official job listing for deputy sheriff, CLICK HERE. Then check "Sheriff" under "Department" and click "Go." A link to the position description will appear at the bottom of the page. If this is your first time applying for a job in the county, you must create an account and build your application. (IF the Sheriff's Office is not hiring at the time you visit the job application system, you will NOT see the position of Deputy Sheriff listed.)
Once the Sheriff's Office receives your online application, we will contact you with a letter of denial or a conditional job offer. If we issue a conditional job offer, you will be required to complete and submit a more detailed personal history form. Then the Sheriff's Office will conduct a background investigation.
If hired, you will serve a 12-month probationary period commencing on the date of graduation from the Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy.
Email the applicant recruiting office or leave a message with your contact information at 703-246-4105 [TTY 711 for hearing impaired].