Sheriff's Office College Student Internship Program
All slots for the 2013 spring/summer internship program have been filled. Applications for the 2013 fall/winter internship program will be accepted starting July 1.
Interns will learn about all the law enforcement and correctional functions and responsibilities of the Fairfax County Sheriff’s Office. You will have the opportunity to tour the Adult Detention Center, the Fairfax County Courthouse and the Criminal Justice Academy.
The internship program is very competitive. The Sheriff’s Office will select two interns for each program period. No monetary compensation will be given.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Second, third or fourth year student (or in a graduate program), receiving 3-9 credit hours for the class related to the internship.
- Criminal justice or public administration major or other major if you have demonstrated a commitment to a law enforcement career.
- Overall GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Must not have ever committeed, or been involved in, any act that would constitute a felony or serious misdemeanor.
- United States citizen.
- Complete, print and mail Intern Screening Form.
- Submit a cover letter, resume and written recommendation from the school or academic program.
- If you will be receiving academic credit for participation, submit a copy of the academic requirements for the course.
- If you are conditionally accepted into the internship program, you will be sent a detailed personal history form to complete, and you will be subject to a background investigation.
Mail all documents to:
Sgt. Shawna Wood
Internship Program Coordinator
Fairfax County Sheriff's Office
10459 Main Street
Fairfax, VA 22030