Deputy Sheriff Training
All deputy sheriff positions are filled, so the Sheriff's Office is not hiring at this time. We are not accepting applications nor maintaining any applications on file; therefore, please do not submit an application until this notice is removed.
- Prepares recruits for the Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy and their future role as a deputy sheriff.
- Starts immediately when an applicant is hired by the Sheriff's Office and prior to attending the academy.
Criminal Justice Academy
- Recruits receive training at the multi-agency academy in Chantilly, Virginia.
- Recruits will be certified in civil process, jail security and court security.
- Recruits will become fully certified law enforcement officers.
Field Training Program
- To be certified as a deputy sheriff, newly graduated recruits will complete a 10-week field training program.
- During this program, new deputy sheriffs will be paired with a field training officer to learn essential job functions.
- To maintain law enforcement certification, deputy sheriffs must complete 36 hours of career development and receive four hours of legal training every two years.
- These requirements may be met by choosing among the approximately 100 classes offered at the Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy.
- As county employees, deputy sheriffs are eligible for tuition assistance and educational leave to continue their education by taking college courses.