Goal Five: Achieve Economic Success Through Education and Social Equity
5.1 Maintain focus and funding on Fairfax County’s world class public schools as a key pillar in the county’s economic success strategy.
- Expand access to quality early child care and Pre-K education for all.
- Ensure adequate resources for Fairfax County Public Schools Career and Technical Education programs.
5.2 Ensure coordination and efficient delivery of workforce and training programs with Northern Virginia Community College and Fairfax County Public Schools.
- Encourage the formation of key employer stakeholder groups to identify and assess existing workforce development and vocational training programs and confirm alignment with meeting current and projected employment needs in Fairfax County.
5.3 Expand opportunities for students with financial need to pursue post-secondary training and education.
- Encourage tuition assistance and internship or apprenticeships for technical/vocational/middle-skill training to meet projected high-demand occupations and to help ensure that these growing industry sectors are available to under-represented students.
- Support actions to link scholarships and assistance to qualified students to pursue higher education, including under-represented populations.
5.4 Expand STEM and STEAM training and preparation.
Encourage the county’s educational institutions/partners to
identify where investments are currently being made in science,
technology, engineering and math (STEM) as well as the arts (STEAM)
activities in Fairfax County; and, quantify and prioritize
resources needed to sustain or expand the
most effective programs and partnerships.
5.5 Explore policy opportunities, strategies or frameworks to address the issue of social equity within the context of economic success.
5.6 Promote and explore creative housing solutions in all county-sponsored projects. A full spectrum of housing types, densities, and prices are essential to provide choices not otherwise provided by the market. Explore greater use of land use incentives and regulations to encourage a variety of urban infill housing opportunities. Continue to implement and refine when necessary the county’s Workforce Dwelling Unit Rental Program and Affordable Dwelling Unit Program.
5.7 Identify a recurring, sustainable funding source which can be reinvested into projects which preserve housing affordability and produce new affordable housing units.