February 8, 2006 Minutes - Trails and Sidewalks Committee


Non-motorized Transportation Committee Meeting

Members Present- Allan Jones (Braddock), Wade Smith (Dranesville), Bruce Wright (Hunter Mill), Roger Diedrich (Providence), Dennis Frew (WABA), Roy Brooks (Mason) Dan Iglhaut (NVRPA), Mike Shannon (Springfield), Paul Johnson (NVBIA) and Jenny Pate (FCPA)

CountyStaff Present – Sheng Leu (DPZ), Chris Wells (DOT) and Ahmed Rayyan (DPWES)

  • Call to order – Chairman Bruce Wright called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m.
  • Approval of Minutes for January 11, 2006 – Minutes approved unanimously as corrected. Bruce will make corrections to minutes and repost on the Committee website.

III. Staff Reports

A. Sheng Leu distributed the DPWES 2005 and January 2006 Trail Waiver Request Reports. Sheng also reported on an upcoming bike/walk conference (4/20 – 5/3/06). Contact Sheng for more details. Sheng reported on a recent discussion by the County Board of Supervisors (BOS) on the Committee’s charter and bylaws. They were approved by BOS with several provisos. They are: include a reference in the Bylaws to the fact that the Committee would follow Roberts Rules of Order and that the Committee consider a new name for the Committee . Several motions were considered by the Committee at that time and one passed to rename the Committee the “Trails and Sidewalks Committee”. This seemed to be keeping with the BOS intent. The BOS also urged the Committee to review and clarify the terms “facilities and non-motorized facilities” which are used in the bylaws and charter. Sheng also discussed DPWES plans to update the existing Trails Map. Sheng raised the subject of amending the Countywide Transportation Plan especially the out-of-turn procedure. A discussion ensued and a need to refine that process regarding trails changes was discussed.

B. Chris Wells reported on several things. One was on a memo to the BOS regarding bicycling issues. DOT is planning to add a Transportation Planner III to their staff and that person would focus on bicycling issues. Also, the memo discussed plans for DOT to spend $500k to develop a bicycle plan and map. Additionally, another $250k would be used to hire a consultant to conduct a pilot bike lane project. Chris also discussed legislation considered by the Virginia legislature to change the crosswalk signs for pedestrian safety from a yield sign to a stop sign. For the third year in a row, this proposed legislation died in committee. Chris also handed out the DOT Fairfax County Pedestrian Task Force Final Report (dated January 23, 2006). The BOS has indicated that funds for projects will be included in the next bond referendum.

C. Ahmed Rayyan lead a discussion on defining a common procedure for identifying sidewalk and trail projects. Currently, DOT and DPWES handles projects that come to their attention in different ways and the projects are tracked separately. There is no common list. DPWES in some part works with each District Committee representative in different ways. Many projects that are brought to DOT and DPWES come directly from the public. Some come to their attention through the Supervisors’ offices. Ahmed will draft a “common” procedure for identifying, costing, and tracking projects. They will work with Wade Smith and Mike Shannon to obtain Committee input before the procedure is submitted to the Committee for review and use.

IV. Chair Report

Bruce discussed topics for upcoming meetings. Tentatively, Bruce plans for the March meeting to focus on Law Enforcement, the April meeting on Schools and trail/sidewalk connectivity, and the May meeting to focus on Grants for trial/sidewalk projects.

V. New Business None

VI. Old Business Jenny Pate distributed a FCPA pamphlet on Public Access issues to Parks and trails. Wade Smith discussed the Dulles Rail Project (Wade and Bruce on a Tysons Corner advisory committee). Fairfax County is funding 25% of the project. Wade stated that our Committee needs to comment on the Project’s Plan especially the Route 7 portion which has some significant sidewalk width and buffer issues.

VII. Adjournment – 9:25 p.m.

Meeting minutes by Mike Shannon

 


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2013

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version