Minutes of the Fairfax County Trails and Sidewalks Committee
December 9, 2009
Members Present – Wade Smith, Chairman (Dranesville), Peter Christensen (Mount Vernon), Douglas Pew (Hunter Mill), Roger Diedrich (Providence), Mark Tipton (FCFCA), Lisa Willey (Springfield), Jenny Pate (FCPA), Dan Iglhaut (NVRPA), Robert Airaghi (Sully), Thomas Kennedy (Braddock), Paul Johnson (NVBIA), Mary Flowers (Clifton Horse Society)
Staff Present – Chris Wells (FCDOT)
Guest – Jean Voss (Clifton Horse Society)
Review of October Meeting Minutes – Wade Smith convened the meeting at 7:35 PM. Minutes were approved with corrections.
Chris Wells reported that Kayla Quintana was appointed to the At Large seat on this Committee.
Board items have been officially funded with Commercial and Industrial revenue and the projects should start to show up in PDD status reports.
Projects from the 2007 Transportation Bond should start construction in the summer of 2010.
The bike plan for Tysons Corner will be prepared by a contractor.
Committee Website Pages – Chris Wells said that maintenance on the web pages will performed in the coming year. Wade Smith suggested that Doug Pew should assist with this. Mark Tipton asked that the terms on the Index be made clearer, especially the name of the link regarding trail and sidewalk requests.
Trail/Sidewalk Volunteer Program – Chris reported that Steve Aitcheson, DPWES head of maintenance and storm water management, indicated that a demonstration location is needed as a first step to establishing this program. Steve can discuss this idea with the Committee. Tom Kennedy suggested that many locations could be done.
Important County Trails Designation – Chris commented that the designations should be determined in conjunction with the County trails/bike plan and there are no funds for updating the trails plan at this time. Paul Johnson said that the trails plan, like most of the Comprehensive Plan, may need to be updated every five years.
Fairfax County Parkway
- Doug pointed out the need for bike route signs. Chris said that that is in the works.
- Paul noted the need for maintenance funding. Wade suggested the Committee members talk to individual Board of Supervisors’ members, and discuss maintenance in the budget process.
Homeowners’ Association (HA) Trails
- Mary Flowers mentioned that HA trails are not mapped, but links to other websites could be provided. Chris said the County has restrictions on outside links on its website.
2010 Issues for Committee Discussion
Wade asked the Committee members to consider the list of issues
from the October Committee meeting minutes. Tom suggested that the
issues fall into four main categories:
- Bicycle Issues
- Trail/Sidewalk Connectivity
- Trail/Sidewalk Maintenance
- Committee Website
- Wade asked the Committee members to consider the list of issues from the October Committee meeting minutes. Tom suggested that the issues fall into four main categories:
Appreciation for Jenny Pate
- Doug presented Jenny Pate with a present (personalized M&Ms imprinted with her picture) to thank her for her 33 years of service with the Park Authority and 14 years on the Trails Committee, and commemorate her retirement next month. The Committee members expressed their immense appreciation for all of her efforts planning and organizing construction of the Cross County Trail and numerous other trails that enrich our lives.
Fountain Head Park
- Dan Iglhaut reported that the NVRPA has submitted a grant request to the Virginia Recreational Trail Fund for rehabilitation of four miles of trail.
Future Committee Meetings
- Wade reminded the Committee members that future meetings will begin at 7:00 PM instead of 7:30 PM.
Motion to Adjourn - Meeting was adjourned at 9:15 PM