Minutes of the Fairfax County Trails and Sidewalks Committee


July 8, 2009

Members Present – Tom Kennedy was introduced as the new representative from the Braddock District Other members present were Wade Smith, Chairman (Dranesville), Robert Airaghi (Sully), Douglas Pew (Hunter Mill), Peter Christensen (Mount Vernon), Roger Diedrich (Providence), Jan Reitman (Mason), Lisa Willey (Springfield), Dan Igilhaut (NVRPA), and Liz Cronauer for Jenny Pate (FCPA).

Staff Present – David Marshall, Connie Maier, and Chris Wells.

Call to Order – Wade Smith convened meeting at 7:40 p.m.

Review of Minutes of June 10, 2009 Meeting – minutes were approved unanimously as submitted by Jan Reitman with one modification to correct for clarification.

Approval of Agenda - items added: new business – discussion on obtaining a complete report of funded construction of trails and sidewalks.

Staff Reports:

  • Connie Maier requested clarification on the waiver for the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer. It was agreed she would discuss this with Wade Smith (Dranesville District) after the meeting.
  • Chris Wells stated that a funding matter would be taken to the board to clarify changes in funding. There may be an increase of $4,000,000 for pedestrian projects. This may come from the Commercial and Industrial (C&I) tax revenue. The prioritization projects that we have submitted will be used as the basis for selection of projects. He also indicated that CMAQ (Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality) funds will be used for changes at Tysons Corner. He indicated that the “4 Year Plan Quarterly Status Report” may cover some of the projects not mentioned in some of our current reports. He agreed to provide a link to this report.
  • Liz Cronauer indicated that the Park Authority would like to apply for a Virginia recreational Trail Grant to replace a fair-weather crossing with a bridge in Wakefield Park for the Cross County Trail. The committee agreed to have chairman Wade Smith send a letter supporting the bridge. Liz will write a draft for signature by Wade.
  • David Marshall indicated he no longer has the budget to support all of the functions that Sheng Leu provided. He will hold a meeting with other organizations on July 23 to see what functions they can pick up. Connie Maier will temporarily provide all of the functions that Sheng provided. No decision has been reached at present.

Old Business:

  • Doug Pew reported that the web page updates are complete under www.fairfaxcounty.gov/trails. We have requested 3 entries be made on the county home page but have yet to get approval.
  • Charlie Strunk is working on a procedure for pedestrians and bicyclists on roundabouts.

New Business:

  • There was agreement that some of the projects are not reported in the Planning and Design Monthly Status Report. We will look at the quarterly status report to see if that covers the information.
  • Wade Smith asked members to email him with their choice of times for the monthly meeting to start. You should state the earliest time you can attend as well as your preferred time. Connie Maier was asked to reserve conference rooms for next year from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. to allow flexibility in our starting time. Jan Reitman asked us to consider a day besides Wednesdays because of a conflict with an other meeting date that he has.
  • The members agreed not to hold a meeting in August.

Motion to Adjourn – 9:00 p.m. Unanimous approval.


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2013

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version