Tysons Implementation Plan Amendment S13-II-TY1
On June 22, 2010, the Board of Supervisors adopted a Comprehensive Plan amendment for the Tysons Corner Urban Center and approved a series of follow-on motions (PDF) to guide the implementation of the new Plan. The Plan amendment and motions recommended that additional work and studies be completed, such as street grid and other transportation studies, urban design guidelines, and a transportation funding plan.
On March 5, 2013, the Board authorized an amendment to the Tysons Plan (Plan Amendment S13-II-TY1) to reconcile the text and maps with the studies and planning activities that have been completed since 2010. Based on community feedback, staff proposed Plan text in three phases as laid out below. The draft text was reviewed through the Planning Commission's Tysons Committee. A complete draft Plan amendment (all phases together) will be advertised for public hearing, along with a companion Zoning Ordinance Amendment for the Planned Tysons Corner Urban District to bring the provisions of the PTC District into accord with the proposed Plan text.
Phase 1 of the Plan amendment covers the implementation, land use (including the Plan's initial development level for office uses), and urban design sections. Phase 2 covers transportation. Phase 3 covers parks, public facilities, and other updates as determined necessary through the amendment process.
Public Meetings and Hearings
Public meetings and hearings were conducted for the Plan Amendment S13-II-TY1 (Tysons - Implementation, Land Use and Urban Design; Transportation; Parks, Public Facilities) and Zoning Ordinance Amendment (Planned Tysons Corner Urban District Bulk Regulations, Maximum Floor Area Ratio for High Trip Generating Uses)
- McLean Citizens Association public meeting: Wednesday, November 29, 2016 at 7:30 PM - McLean Community Center, 1234 Ingleside Ave, McLean, VA
- Greater Tysons Citizens Coalition public meeting: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 7:30 PM - McLean Community Center, 1234 Ingleside Ave, McLean, VA
- Tysons Partnership Land Use Committee meeting: Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 8:00 AM - 1750 Tysons Blvd, 18th Floor - McGuire Woods, Tysons, VA
This Plan amendment was adopted by the Board of Supervisors on March 14, 2017. The followinng related documents are available for viewing.
- Tysons Implementation Plan Amendment Staff Report
- Staff Report Addendum
Comprehensive Plan Text
- Planning Commission Decision and Verbatim
- Planning Commission Oral Testimony, February 8, 2017, Sally K. Horn, McLean Citizens Association
- McLean Citizens Association Comments on Draft Implementation Plan Amendment, S13-II-TY1, dated January 25, 2016
- Tysons Partnership Testimony before the Planning Commission February 8, 2017 by Sol Glasner, President
- Tysons Partnership Additional Comments to Planning Commission
- Town of Vienna letter to Planning Commission RE: Tysons Implementation Plan Amendment from Mayor Laurie A. DiRocco
- McLean Citizens Association Resolution on Tysons Implementation Plan Amendment (S13-II-TY1) March 10, 2017
Links to the proposed Version 3 DRAFT Plan text, proposed Zoning Ordinance Amendment and staff reports
- Summary of proposed changes to the Tysons Plan text
- Public comments with Staff and Planning Commission Tysons Committee responses - Phase 1
- Public comments with Staff and Planning Commission Tysons Committee responses - Phase 2
- Public comments with Staff and Planning Commission Tysons Committee responses - Phase 3
- Proposed Zoning Ordinance Amendment: Planned Tysons Corner Urban (PTC) District Regulations Regarding the Maximum FAR for High Trip Generating Uses
Planning Commission Tysons Committee Meeting Schedule
Tysons Committee meetings are held in the Government Center Board Auditorium (Conference Room), Ground Level, Fairfax County Government Center Building, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, Virginia 22035.
- February 17, 2016 - Review comments regarding Implementation, Land Use and Urban Design text.
- March 2, 2016 - Continue reviewing comments regarding Phase 1, begin review of comments regarding Phase 2: Transportation. Click here for the agenda and draft Transportation Plan text.
- March 16, 2016 - Continue reviewing comments regarding Phase 2. Click here for the agenda.
- April 13, 2016 - Continue reviewing Phase 2 public comments. Click here for the agenda and an updated Transportation Comments Matrix.
- May 12, 2016 - Cancelled
- May 26, 2016 - Cancelled
- June 16, 2016 - Superstreet concept (Route 123/Chain Bridge Rd.) information session. Click here for the agenda, draft superstreet text and presentation.
- June 30, 2016 - Initial Development Level (IDL) information session. Click here for the agenda and the revised June 30 IDL text.
- July 20, 2016 - Continue reviewing Phase 3: Parks and Recreation public comments. Click here for the agenda and the Parks, Public Facilities and Environmental Stewardship Comments Matrix.
Version 2 DRAFT Tysons Comprehensive Editorial Plan Amendment Text
The proposed editorial text changes from Phase 1, 2, and 3 have been reviewed by county staff, and are now available for public review. Additionally, the eight individual district maps located in the District Recommendations of the Tysons Comprehensive Plan, have been updated to reflect the Tysons-wide Conceptual Land Use map. Updates include approved parks and new roadway alignments, and public facilities locations. The 168-page document can be downloaded here as a pdf:
The public was invited to submit comments regarding the September 11, 2015 draft text until November 6, 2015. The following links are comments that staff received from the public:
- Tysons Partnership suggested changes
- TCC Plan revisions
- Greater Tysons Citizens Coalition
- Staff revisions
- Intelligent Transportation Systems
DRAFT Version 1: Phase 3 (Parks, Public Utilities, and other Updates) Overview
Proposed edits for Phase 3 include a new section for Parks and Recreation with edits informed by the Tysons Park System Concept Plan and updates to the Public Facilities section. Minor editorial changes are proposed for the Environmental Stewardship section as well. The proposed Phase 3 edits can be downloaded here:
DRAFT Version 1: Phase 2 (Transportation) Overview
On Thursday, July 17, 2014, Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT) staff made a presentation on the Phase 2 proposed edits to the Tysons Committee. A copy of the presentation is available for viewing (PDF) . The committee met on Thursday, July 31, 2014 to begin a discussion on the proposed Phase 2 edits and continued on September 17, October 9, October 22, November 12 and December 10.. The proposed transportation edits to the Tysons Comprehensive Plan language can be downloaded here:
DRAFT Version 1: Phase 1 (Implementation, Land Use and Urban Design) Overview
On Thursday, February 20, 2014, Fairfax County staff presented an overview of Phase 1 of the Tysons Comprehensive Plan Amendment to the Planning Commission. A copy of staff's presentation is available for viewing (PDF ). The Tysons Committee met on April 16, May 14, June 12 and June 25, 2014 to continue the Phase 1 discussion and concluded on July 17, 2014. Review materials, including the first draft of proposed Phase 1 changes, are available here.
Initial Public Meetings
A preliminary dialogue with County staff on the first Plan amendment was held Monday, October 7, 2013 at Spring Hill Elementary School. The staff presentation ( PDF) from that meeting provided an overview of the Plan amendment process and a summary of the proposed changes in the first Plan amendment. A follow-up meeting on the Phase 1 draft was held on Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at Freedom Hill Elementary School.