Community Complaint Form

If you’re concerned about possible fire, health, zoning, property maintenance or land use/construction code
violations, then use this form to file a complaint. Your complaint will be reviewed in the order it was received and
you may be contacted by the inspector investigating your complaint. You also may search existing complaints if
you have an address or complaint number.

Information submitted as part of a complaint, including your name and other personally identifying information,
may be subject to public disclosure under the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.

Top Complaints


Homes and Properties
  • Tall Grass, electrical, heating/cooling, unsanitary conditions, vacant dwellings, water/sewer, hoarding and more  Submit Complaint
  • Overcrowding, too many people in home/public place, short term lodging, illegal apartment in home Submit Complaint
  • Excessive junk in yard, illegal child care, home businesses, front yard pavement and more Submit Complaint

Land Use and Construction
  • Construction site issues, such as malfunctioning erosion and sedimentation controls, drainage problems, tracked mud on the roadway, etc. Submit Complaint
  • Unpermitted Construction, building height, donation boxes, fences, new construction and more Submit Complaint
  • Land Disturbance, illegal land clearing, tree removal and more Submit Complaint
  • Yard drainage obstructions Submit Complaint
  • Unlicensed contractor Submit Complaint

  • Overcrowding in public places, grills on balconies, hazardous materials, dumping and other fire department issues Submit Complaint
  • Complaints submitted will be handled during normal business hours. For an immediate response to health or fire safety issues dial 911. Complaints submitted will be handled during normal business hours. For an immediate response to health or fire safety issues dial 911.


Improper Trash Disposal
  • Overflowing dumpster, household trash, illegal dumpsite, tires, hazardous materials, paint, oil Submit Complaint
  • Animal (not dogs), construction, mechanical and other noise  Submit Complaint
  • For dog noise or immediate noise concerns, call the police non-emergency number at 703-691-2131, TTY 711
  • For Trash Truck Noise Complaints call the Department of Public Works and Environmental Services at 703-324-5230, TTY 711.

Animals, Rats, Insects
  • Infestations, excessive number of dogs, fowl, livestock and more Submit Complaint

Signs on Private Property Only


Vehicles and Parking
  • Commercial, inoperable/junk, parking on grass, tow truck and more Submit Complaint

Swimming Pool

Trash and Recycling Collection
  • Please do not report a missed collection until late in the day. In many cases, crews are simply running behind schedule.
  • If you have a private trash hauler, please contact them first. (If your hauler does not resolve the issue, you may contact the county at 703-324-5230 | TTY 711) or Submit Complaint
  • If the county collects your trash, please call 703-802-3322 | TTY 711 or Submit Complaint