Board of Supervisors - Chairman

Fairfax County, Virginia

CONTACT INFORMATION: Office open weekdays 8:30am - 5pm

703-324-2321
TTY 711

12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 530
Fairfax, VA 22035

Sharon Bulova,
Chairman, At-Large

Environmental Showcase

Environmental Showcase PhotoOn July 22, 2017, Chairman Bulova hosted an Environmental Showcase at the Fairfax County Government Center to discuss how the private and public sectors can work together to achieve mutual environmental goals. Environmental project booths were on display in the forum and a panel discussion was held in the auditorium. Congressman Gerry Connolly, Jim Corcoran of the Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce and Chairman Bulova offered welcoming remarks to the crowd. Fairfax County's Environmental Coordinator, Kambiz Agazi, talked about Fairfax County's recent update to its Environmental Vision.

Panelists included Jim Hart (Fairfax County Planning Commissioner), Tom Fleury (Executive Vice President of Bowman Consulting), Steve Smith (Principal at Cooper Carry), Susan Hafeli (Senior Utility Analyst with Fairfax County Government) and Dr. Dann Sklarew (Sustainability Initiatives Coordinator at George Mason University).

At the Environmental Showcase we learned that Fairfax County has reduced its per capita emissions by 10% from 2005 to 2012. Fairfax County has also decreased its greenhouse gas emissions from public buildings by 21% from 2006 to 2015. Fairfax County is continuing to work toward reducing energy usage and has saved $1 million in utility bills from 2012-2014.

Fairfax County Government is responsible for a small part of the greenhouse gas emissions in the County (about 3%) while residents and businesses are responsible for the rest (97%). Cooperation between all groups and stakeholders in our community is key to sustaining our environment. It is important that we all do our part in areas where each of us has influence to help make an impact. Thank you once again to the well over 200 people who came out to attend the Showcase!

 

Event Information

Environmental Vision Presentation

Photos

Video