Practice Exposure Therapy is an online learning experience for mental health providers to learn why and how to apply prolonged exposure (PE) therapy with adult patients suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Participants engage in simulated therapy sessions with fully-animated virtual patients who act like real patients suffering from PTSD. Patients include a military veteran, a victim of childhood abuse, and a survivor of sexual assault.
Participants learn to:
- Recognize symptoms of PTSD and suitable treatment options;
- Identify patients for whom Practice Exposure Therapy is appropriate;
- Practice conversations with virtual patients to present treatment options, address their concerns and engage them in the treatment;
- Use breathing relaxation techniques with patients;
- Structure and direct in vivo and imaginal exposure;
- Promote patients' full emotional engagement; and
- Practice provider self-care techniques.
Practice Exposure Therapy is approved for 6.0 American Psychological Association (APA) continuing education credits (CE) and was developed by Kognito in collaboration with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.